UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Where To Get Sets and Parts

Notices

Where To Get Sets and Parts For discussions about swapmeets, rallies, NVCF and BVWS, car boot sales, antique and charity shops, dealers, newspaper adverts, the local tip and just about any other source of equipment (other than eBay).

Closed Thread

Old 20th Nov 2018, 3:55 pm   #1
See_Mos
Hexode

Default Cheap Hameg 'scopes

Just seen on the usual action site there are several Hameg scopes for sale starting at £20 plus £11 carriage. Ends Thursday morning but I suspect unsold ones would be relisted.

These are nothing to do with me but having had a HM204-2 for over 30 years I can highly recommend them.
Old 20th Nov 2018, 4:12 pm   #2
Sinewave
Octode

Default Re: Cheap Hameg 'scopes

We've still got one CRO at work which is a Hameg and for a CRT scope, it's quite a nippy little size and reasonably light.
Old 20th Nov 2018, 4:29 pm   #3
David G4EBT
Dekatron

I've found my Hameg 203-7 to be excellent. 20 MHz, but actually gives a good trace up to 55 MHz.

They typically go for £65 - £80 on ebay.

There are several listed on there from the same company, (and other models), with a starting price of £20, and the fact that there are so many listed at once, may well hold down the ultimate auction price. (They look in good cosmetic condition, but no info about whether they're working or not). From unfortunate experiences in the past, I'd be more inclined to collect in person than to risk damage in transit and all the hassle that brings in its tow.
Old 25th Nov 2018, 12:15 am   #4
MeerKat
Hexode

Hi Peeps,

Thanks for the heads up See Mos, I've taken the plunge and bought one of these, a HM 203-7, couldn't collect so have to take a chance on the courier. we'll see what turns up!

Illegitimi non carborundum
Old 25th Nov 2018, 10:45 am   #5
MrBungle
Dekatron

I’ve bought a ton of stuff from them before. All well packaged so far. Think I had about 5 tek 4xx’s, two counters and a function generator so far. No transit damage.
Old 25th Nov 2018, 4:37 pm   #6
Pilot Mariner
Hexode

Location: Burntwood, Staffordshire, UK or Kabaty in Warsaw Poland.

The component test curve tracer facility on hameg scopes is very useful,
Old 27th Nov 2018, 5:07 pm   #7
See_Mos
Hexode

Yes, the curve tracer is very useful especially if you can compare two boards or if you have several identical stages or dozens of transistors on a board.

A lot of my work involved AC circuits such as thyristor drives so the sync to mains is also very useful, not all 'scopes have the line sync facility.
Old 30th Nov 2018, 12:45 am   #8
MeerKat
Hexode

Scope arrived the other day and it was well packed and undamaged.

When I first powered it up the display was very blurred and bright, I didn't leave it on for long. I studied the diagram and came to the conclusion voltages around the CRT must be wrong. A few hours later I powered it up again with my voltmeter at the ready but this time the display was much better and continued to improve the longer it was on so I'm guessing it had not been used for a long time and possibly capacitors needed to reform and maybe a bit of damp to disperse. One of the buttons was missing so I fashioned one from a piece of dowl, straightened a bent piece of the chassis and all functions work now and yes the component tester is very handy!

Illegitimi non carborundum
Old 30th Nov 2018, 1:06 am   #9
turretslug
Dekatron

Good stuff! I don't know what it was packed in but if this was stock held and packed in unheated uninhabited premises like a broker's industrial unit, the packaging materials might have held a fair bit of humidity from the North-West's charming weather recently and ended up thoroughly permeating the 'scope over its journey. I've noticed on a few occasions that a long-unused 'scope can improve in the way you describe over a few hours- now I leave them by a radiator or sunny spot (as appropriate!) for at least a couple of days. Though a 'scope purchase probably needs to be confirmed as go/no-go fairly promptly.
Old 30th Nov 2018, 6:10 am   #10
Restoration73
Nonode

These were popular in Education and the price was competitive compared to similar
Kenwood or Hitachi scopes. Some of the small knobs push on to plastic shafts inserted
into presets (intensity and focus) others are collet types.
Closed Thread