UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 8th Aug 2017, 3:17 pm   #21
Voxophone
Hexode

Default Re: Can I run A UK 1950s Set On 60Hz Mains?

There was a version of the Bush TV22 designed specifically to work on ‘unsynchronised mains’ – even though the standard model seems to have been rated for 40-100 Hz. The main smoothing network used larger capacitors and both HT feeds were taken from the far end of the network, presumably to achieve the lowest possible ripple.

If 60 Hz ends up causing problems you could possibly build a separate rectifier and run the AC/DC set off a DC supply. A few UK radio models were DC only and people presumably do something similar when restoring these.

I think there was some discussion on here also about the Aurora converter itself causing a slight non-stationary ripple on picture. I have this on both my 405 line sets despite the smoothing capacitors being replaced. If it was related to the mains supply I’d expect it to be stationary based on what’s been said above.

Liam

Last edited by Voxophone; 8th Aug 2017 at 3:23 pm.
Old 8th Aug 2017, 5:20 pm   #22
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinMarris View Post

I don't yet have an Aurora but have been in touch with the manufacturer and can purchase the basic 625-to-405 single-conversion model when needed.
Hi Martin,
You may like to consider using a PC to directly generate 405 line signals.

I revisited an old idea from this forum when I bought an old Cossor TV a year ago, I discovered that with the right graphics card, it is now very easy indeed, and the only other thing you need to procure or build, is a System A modulator.

http://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/s...hlight=foth+tv

http://www.nostalgiatech.co.uk/Baird%20240%20lines.htm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9b7_x0g0uM

It seems that only Peter and myself are using this technique so far.

Graham.
G3ZVT
Old 8th Aug 2017, 8:21 pm   #23
kan_turk
Hexode

Comments about set with capacitive dropper are entirely valid - another approach would be to calculate value of capacitor required for 60Hz operation - also to be aware when converting from US mains voltage to 240v that a transformer designed for nominal 117v to 240v conversion will now, with current typical mains voltage in US of 120 - 125v yield some 255v - putting vintage TV components under unnecessary stress - I would recommend running vintage British TVs at no more than 235v in order to give them an easier life in their advanced age
Old 9th Aug 2017, 7:52 am   #24
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

The 998T is adjustable to run 200-250v AC/DC. J.
Old 9th Aug 2017, 10:58 am   #25
boxdoctor
Rest in Peace

As chriswood1900 states, measuring the E.H.T. is not really necessary, as if the picture is Ok, then the E.H.T. will be right.
In the day, most small workshops used a calibrated spark gap to measure E.H.T. if it was thought really necessary to do so in a particular case. They were a cheap, reasonably accurate, and fairly safe way to to the measurement. Definately not for use on solid-state sets!
All success with this set when you get it. The 50/60 cycle problem is not likely to manifest itself greatly if at all, as the change is upward in frequency, so the smoothing capacitors will be more effective at 60 cycles anyway. Sync. is from the signal, not the power source. Tony.
Old 13th Aug 2017, 3:31 pm   #26
MartinMarris
Tetrode

Thank you again for all the advice. I am putting this project on hold for the moment, because of professional and family commitments. The Ferguson 998T has been available for many months on U.S. eBay (the auctions expire and are then re-listed) and I have decided to wait it out -- if it gets sold to someone else, so be it.

This is a hobby I will definitely plunge into, but am waiting until the time is right. Meanwhile I am following this forum with great interest!

Mods: If you would like to close out this thread that is fine with me. There is already enough advice on the main topic (running a UK 405-line TV on 60Hz mains). When I begin my first restoration, I will start an entirely new thread.