UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 8th Jul 2008, 9:23 pm   #1
Andrew Sleath
Retired Dormant Member

Default HMV 2019 - low output.

I have just brought a hmv 2019.
my valves work but i find the speaker a bit quiet.

Do you find yours to be nice and loud?
regards
Old 8th Jul 2008, 10:55 pm   #2
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

Default Re: HMV 2019 - low output.

According to the Trader Service Sheet for this model it has an output of approx. 5 watts, so if yours isn't very loud there is/are almost certainly faults present. Best not to operate it any more before checking it out. In particular the coupling capacitors(C8, 10,11), the reservoir & smoothing caps(C7,14,15), and the selenium rectifier(W1) are almost certainly suspect, and should be replaced, given that this player is over 40 years old. The PU Cartridge may also be at fault.
Old 8th Jul 2008, 11:05 pm   #3
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

To follow on from my post #2 -the Trader Service Sheet for the HMV/BRC 2019 is available from 'Vintage Radio Service Data CD-Roms or Email'(Link at top RH of this page)
Old 9th Jul 2008, 7:39 am   #4
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

C8, C10 and C11 (0.01mfd) and C12 (50mfd) will probably need replacing as well. Or the UCL83s could eventually suffer damage.