UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 23rd Jun 2008, 11:45 am   #1
hondacxrider
Retired Dormant Member

Default EKCO 9 Octave info wanted

Hi all,
I have just got one of the above from an auction and was going to restore it till my better half said "Exactly how long will it live in the conservatory?" After a "um" and a "er" I've realised this might be a project too far.
Does anyone have any idea if it's worth restoring? I have no idea about this one, it does produce a lovely sound though and looks great IMHO.
It comes with the other amp box for stereo, and all the legs.
The deck need some work, with possibly a new(er) cartridge.
Any advice, suggestions gartefully recieved.
Duncan
PS can supply a picture if required.

Last edited by Station X; 23rd Jun 2008 at 12:00 pm. Reason: To comply with forum rules.
Old 23rd Jun 2008, 12:43 pm   #2
yestertech
Nonode

Default Re: EKCO 9 Octave info wanted

EKCO info shows this as the RP341 - looks quite a classy unit - Push pull EL84s and 3 speakers - all presumably duplicated in the add-on unit. Would have been pretty top-of the-range ( well , 9 octaves ? )
Mmmm I could be tempted...... Andy
Old 23rd Jun 2008, 1:51 pm   #3
hondacxrider
Retired Dormant Member

Just found out it will certainly need a new cartridge, the add-on unit works well, both could do with the volume pots cleaning/replacing, the main unit has scratches on the lid, one quite deep. But you are right, classy is the word, it has a hydraulic lid as well. I picked them up at an auction along with hacker GP42 and it's add on unit (I wasn't intending to bid.....honest m'lud), but one's gotta go (sob) and this is the biggest. I've cleaned them up a bit and lubricated the mechanism (freed off the speed changer) but the cartidge output is low. Oh, and the original rubber mat is well past it's sell by, it is hard and would disintegrate on removal I reckon. attached is pictures. This really is a dilemma!!!!!! Do you think the loft would be a good hidey place?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rp 004.jpg
Views:	389
Size:	178.7 KB
ID:	18061   Click image for larger version

Name:	rp 005.jpg
Views:	297
Size:	165.4 KB
ID:	18062  

Last edited by hondacxrider; 23rd Jun 2008 at 1:53 pm. Reason: siley in wrong place
Old 23rd Jun 2008, 2:29 pm   #4
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

Looks like just the thing for music in a quality Conservatory Duncan. You've impressed Andy and it seems to be very well specified.
Only you [or someone else] can decide! On the other hand.... I have got relatives in Bicester. Dave W
Old 23rd Jun 2008, 4:40 pm   #5
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

Duncan
Very nice indeed - I'd make a few checks (capacitors and the like) before running it for very long, though.
Old 24th Jun 2008, 10:21 am   #6
hondacxrider
Retired Dormant Member

OK, a decisions been made. It's gotta go.
I cobbled together a bsr cartridge and needle and played a mfp LP on it yesterday and it sounded (to me anyway) awesome and loud too. It worked fine whilst my youngest daughter danced away to swinging safari for an hour.
If anyone wants to take this on, I would appreciate it if they could give me back the £16 I paid for it at auction. Sadly, I simply don't have the room for it. The cartridge and needle I will require back, as it's off the GP42 I got, but you can get a replacement cartridge from http://www.mutr.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=794
easily enough. Please note the woodwork does have dings in it, not big ones apart from the one on the lid, but it's not pristine.
Also please note that if you come to collect it, don't tell me how wonderful it is/sounds as you might end up leaving empty handed
P.S. I was puzzled for a while why it didn't quite have the richness I was expecting till I disovered a warning notice on adjustable ports underneath (warning you not to adjust them, as they have been factory set) then I put the legs on as per the photo, and Bingo!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rp 007.jpg
Views:	419
Size:	158.0 KB
ID:	18074   Click image for larger version

Name:	rp 008.jpg
Views:	326
Size:	167.1 KB
ID:	18075  
Old 26th Jun 2008, 9:46 pm   #7
hondacxrider