UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 28th Aug 2019, 4:48 pm   #1
promoter2000
Triode

Default Technics SL 1210 MK2 counterweight mounted upside down

Hello everyone. I found a working Technics SL 1210 MK2 turntable but with a problem with the arm: the counterweight is mounted backwards (see photo below) and I can't remove it. Normally this counterweight is unscrewed in a clockwise direction until it is completely removed, but in the photo it turns idle. I tried to pull it towards the back but it only moves slightly backwards / forwards without going out. How can I remove it from my arm and reassemble it correctly?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	189048   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	91.3 KB
ID:	189049  
Old 28th Aug 2019, 6:20 pm   #2
promoter2000
Triode

Default Re: Technics SL 1210 MK2 counterweight mounted upside down

I answer myself: I was afraid to force my arm but in the end I convinced myself to turn counterclockwise pulling towards the back. The counterweight has finally come out and now I reassembled it correctly, it turns and works perfectly. Thank god.
Old 30th Aug 2019, 10:35 pm   #3
McMurdo
Dekatron

I see alot of them mounted backwards, no idea why as the calibrations then become meaningless. Then again, most DJ's who use these have them at max tracking weight, you know, so the stylus is squashed flat against the record to boost the bass.
Old 31st Aug 2019, 7:06 am   #4
Electronpusher0
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMurdo View Post
I see alot of them mounted backwards, no idea why as the calibrations then become meaningless. Then again, most DJ's who use these have them at max tracking weight, you know, so the stylus is squashed flat against the record to boost the bass.
That's the answer then, the calibration dial is plastic and adds very little to the weight, it just spaces the counterweight away from the pivot.
With the counter weight reversed it can be screwed/ pushed right up to the pivot and give maximum stylus pressure.

Peter
Old 31st Aug 2019, 7:53 am   #5
Radio Wrangler

With the counterweight reversed, for the same position of its centre of gravity, and hence the same balance, the moment of inertia will be just a little less because the plastic scale ring is less dense than the metal weight. Balancing moment goes on radius, moment of inertia goes on radius squared.

Whether this is audible, or even beneficial who knows?

But in audio, if someone can theorise that something might make a difference, then that's all it takes to start a landslide.

David