UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 1st Jul 2008, 7:52 am   #1
recordandy
Retired Dormant Member

Default Garrard 2025TC

I have a Garrard 2025TC record deck and the pick up weight seems rather heavy. I have noticed a greying effect on my records after playing them on this deck (but it doesn't seem to have damaged the record). i was wondering if this is caused by the pick up being to heavy. I cannot see how the weight can be adjusted on the arm though.
Old 1st Jul 2008, 11:07 am   #2
ben
Dekatron

Default Re: Garrard 2025TC

there is a spring under the arm ISTR possibly with a screw accessible from above. sure someone else on here who has one to hand will advise.
Old 1st Jul 2008, 3:08 pm   #3
geofy
Retired Dormant Member

Post Re: Garrard 2025TC

Yes there is the adjusment screw on top at the front of the pivot, does it look as if someone has already been having ago at it? If you have a stylus protector put this over the stylus and then without forcing it, lift the arm up, it goes no more than about thirty degrees. With a torch handy, look along the length of the pick-up arm amd right underneath the black plastic there is a spring going from front to back, make sure this is still attached (and still present!) though it is well hidden.

The heavy tracking might be related to your other fault, it is the same thing we are talking about? If the stylus has become dislodged from the V it sits in or is tracking too heavy it could give the symtoms you describe.

Geof
Old 1st Jul 2008, 4:47 pm   #4
geofy
Retired Dormant Member

Exclamation Re: Garrard 2025TC

Quote:
Originally Posted by geofy View Post

The adjusment screw on top at the front of the pivot.
IGNORE the above, I made a slight error The adjuster on the top is for the side pick-up cueing device lever. This also sets the height of the pick-up to lift off the stand, and should give at least two millimetres of clearance.

The tracking force appears to be fixed by the front to back (under the pivot plastic cap) spring and with a Sonotone 9TAHC is set at just under three grams.

But it did give an excuse to drag out my Bush SRP51 (with my improved regulated power supply) to give it an airing. And isn’t it more satisfying to put on a record than choose from an MP3 menu!

Geof
Old 1st Jul 2008, 6:07 pm   #5
Stewart
Retired Dormant Member

Don't forget that the 2025 has a release lever at the rear..push this to the side and you can then raise the arm right up ..that should help you locate the spring and adjustment better.
Old 1st Jul 2008, 7:41 pm   #6
geofy
Retired Dormant Member

Post Re: Garrard 2025TC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewart View Post
Don't forget that the 2025 has a release lever at the rear..push this to the side and you can then raise the arm right up ..that should help you locate the spring and adjustment better.

That's useful. I was wondering how to get to the pick-up.
Old 3rd Jul 2008, 9:03 am   #7
recordandy
Retired Dormant Member

I have looked under the arm and i can see a spring attached by a loop at the back and the other end is attached to a plate on the arm with holes punched into it. However there is no tension in the spring at all. The spring looks in good condition but should there be some tension there?
Old 3rd Jul 2008, 9:52 am   #8
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by recordandy View Post
However there is no tension in the spring at all. The spring looks in good condition but should there be some tension there?
Yes, more tension = lighter "downforce".

Try moving the end of the spring to a hole a bit nearer the cartridge, and see what happens.

Nick.
Old 3rd Jul 2008, 9:54 am   #9
geofy
Retired Dormant Member

Exclamation Re: Garrard 2025TC

Quote:
Originally Posted by recordandy View Post
I have looked under the arm and I can see a spring attached by a loop at the back and the other end is attached to a plate on the arm with holes punched into it. However there is no tension in the spring at all. The spring looks in good condition but should there be some tension there?
If you have raised the arm by pushing the release plate at the back of the pick-up arm to the left, as Stewart pointed out, the spring won't have any tension while raised up. It should be in the middle row of the plate with the holes in. Moving it forward will put more tension on the spring, but it is not easy to get the end of the spring out of the plate. The spring is only tensioned when the arm is in the lowered position. Also make sure the stylus is corrected seated in the pick-up cartridge.

Geof
Old 12th Jul 2008, 9:42 am   #10
recordandy
Retired Dormant Member

I have checked that the stylus is correctly seated in the cartridge and that seems ok. I am sure that the weight is more than 3 grams as it feels quite heavy. i have looked underneath the arm and i cannot move the spring as i cannot release it from the plate. ( i am worried that i will damage it) So i have stuck a lump of blu-tac to the rear of the tone arm in an effort to counterbalance it and have noticed a reduction in the "greying effect" on the records, so i am on the right track.
Closed Thread