UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 13th Jun 2008, 12:21 pm   #1
slapsally
Retired Dormant Member

Question Turntable slipping

Hi, I'm new to the forum but have owned 3 1950's Radiograms for 20 odd years.
Unfortunately my favourite one a R.D.G with a Garrad RC120H is playing up, the speed 'slips' as records play disorting the sound.
How might I correct this.
Cheers
Tony
Old 13th Jun 2008, 12:42 pm   #2
peter_sol
Octode

Default Re: Turntable slipping

Is this on 45's or 33's or even 78's or all?
Old 13th Jun 2008, 3:55 pm   #3
ben
Dekatron

if by slipping you mean speeding up/slowing down, first thing to do is clean the inner rim of the platter with alcohol and give the surface of the rubber idler a good going-over with fine sandpaper/ an emery board at a pinch.
Old 13th Jun 2008, 5:12 pm   #4
dseymo1
Retired Dormant Member

Does the RC120 use the belt-driven speed change mechanism? If so, you may need a new belt - it's very short to expect its stretch to last too long.
Old 14th Jun 2008, 7:01 pm   #5
slapsally
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter_sol View Post
Is this on 45's or 33's or even 78's or all?
It's on all speeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben View Post
if by slipping you mean speeding up/slowing down, first thing to do is clean the inner rim of the platter with alcohol and give the surface of the rubber idler a good going-over with fine sandpaper/ an emery board at a pinch.
I gave this ago, and watched the operation with the 'patter' removed. I tightend up the spring holding the large rubber disc onto the spinning 'stepped' part, but still no joy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dseymo1 View Post
Does the RC120 use the belt-driven speed change mechanism? If so, you may need a new belt - it's very short to expect its stretch to last too long.
Thanks but its not belt driven.

Perhaps I need a new rubber disc (idler?) Anybody know where I could get one?
Cheers for your help so far.
Old 16th Jun 2008, 9:56 pm   #6
ben
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by slapsally View Post
It's on all speeds
I gave this ago, and watched the operation with the 'patter' removed. I tightend up the spring holding the large rubber disc onto the spinning 'stepped' part, but still no joy.
is the rubber hard and shiny on the edge of that disc? if so, that's probably why it didn't respond to the sandpaper treatment, and replacement may be the only option. however, a few things to try first:

1.remove the rubber idler wheel altogether, unclipping the retaining clip, and lubricate the little post it sits on. be careful not to get oil anywhere near the rubber or platter.
2. relubricate the central shaft of the platter . you may need to clean off the old grease first. Do not use wd40 in any area! watch out for any ball bearings at the base.

the above cures 99% of speed problems on these decks. good luck, Ben
Old 1st Jul 2008, 10:04 pm   #7
slapsally
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben View Post
is the rubber hard and shiny on the edge of that disc? if so, that's probably why it didn't respond to the sandpaper treatment, and replacement may be the only option. however, a few things to try first:

1.remove the rubber idler wheel altogether, unclipping the retaining clip, and lubricate the little post it sits on. be careful not to get oil anywhere near the rubber or platter.
2. relubricate the central shaft of the platter . you may need to clean off the old grease first. Do not use wd40 in any area! watch out for any ball bearings at the base.

the above cures 99% of speed problems on these decks. good luck, Ben
Many thanks to all who posted sugestions, the above worked like a dream!
Thanks again
Old 2nd Jul 2008, 12:56 pm   #8
ben
Dekatron

Nice work Tony! Glad it was useful and good to hear of another machine brought back to usefulness.
Old 2nd Jul 2008, 6:13 pm   #9
Patrick Dixon
Hexode

Cleaning the idler with cellulose thinners can also help restore some grip.
Closed Thread