UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Old 27th Mar 2024, 7:25 pm   #1
granazis
Tetrode

Default Unknown pocket 6-Transistor Radio repair project

I have a little pocket Transistor Radio that is not working.
Unknown make and model. It is a 6-transistor radio (see photos). The frequency selector indicates wavelength in metres: from 118 to 558m. It's probably from the mid 1960s. At the back there is a " British Crown Colony of Hong Kong" stamp. It takes a single 9V battery.
I originally got it for spares but now I think I can attempt to make it work.
Any idea how I can see if it can be repaired?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	received_1420711635218462.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	42.6 KB
ID:	295483   Click image for larger version

Name:	received_1575493046559918.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	27.7 KB
ID:	295484   Click image for larger version

Name:	received_941716580754170.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	37.0 KB
ID:	295485  
granazis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Mar 2024, 7:31 pm   #2
paulsherwin

Default Re: Unknown pocket 6-Transistor Radio repair project

It seems to be a pretty typical HK pocket radio from the mid 60s. They're usually simple standard 6 transistor designs but the size can make them difficult to work on. Just fault-find as you would with any dead radio. The electrolytics are often bad.
paulsherwin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Mar 2024, 7:48 pm   #3
greg_simons
Octode

I'd put it a bit later, early seventies, very cut down job, only one if stage, can't quite determine if it's germanium or silicon transistors though.
Greg.
Old 27th Mar 2024, 8:02 pm   #4
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

I'd say late-60s/early-70s; the coming of cheap and gainy Silicon Planar transistors [the technology originally developed by Fairchild in the early-60s but widely - and profitably - licensed] made these sorts of radios easy to produce.

The use of a transformer-coupled push-pull output stage shows the *design* to be an early one, but these continued in production well after the complementary-symmetry transformerless 'totem pole' became the norm in more-upmarket radios.
Old 27th Mar 2024, 8:11 pm   #5
paulsherwin

HK AF amps almost always used driver and output transformers, long after transformerless designs became common.

Looking at it again, the styling does suggest 1970 or thereabouts, so it probably uses cheap NPN Si transistors.
Old 27th Mar 2024, 8:15 pm   #6
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsherwin View Post
HK AF amps almost always used driver and output transformers, long after transformerless designs became common.
Yes, I guess once you're geared-up to produce them in their millions, and they're 'good enough' for the market, the business-case for redesigning to a totem-pole PNP/NPN output stage wouldn't be great.
Old 27th Mar 2024, 8:23 pm   #7
Paul_RK
Dekatron

I'd go with late '60s, and I think you'll find the tuning range is in kc/s (kHz), roughly 550 to 1600, standard medium wave. Occasional models did use wavelength calibration, but in that case it would be something like 200-550m. Entry-level pocket set of the day, retailing at or around 39/6d.

Paul

Last edited by Paul_RK; 27th Mar 2024 at 8:35 pm.
Paul_RK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Mar 2024, 8:30 pm   #8
MotorBikeLes
Nonode

I see green transistors. In my experience, all the green transistors I have come across have been PNP silicon types. Could they just be exactly that, but using an earlier (PNP of course) germanium circuit?
Might be an idea to pull one out and see.
Les.
MotorBikeLes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Mar 2024, 8:38 pm   #9
paulsherwin

That seems unlikely. PNP Si types cost significantly more than NPN at that time - that may be why they stuck with transformers. It's easy enough to switch to NPN with these simple designs, you just swap the polarity of the battery and all the electrolytics.
Old 27th Mar 2024, 8:47 pm   #10
Sideband
Dekatron

It should be dead simple. In what way is it 'not working'? Connect battery, switch on. Is there a click or noise from the speaker? Yes....?The a.f stages are probably working. No?....check the on/off switch and the headphone socket...(the headphone socket cuts out the speaker and the internal switch contacts my be O/C). There...... a couple of quick checks that will take less than 10 minutes to get you started!
Old 27th Mar 2024, 9:08 pm   #11
newlite4
Octode

Easy way to date is to look for the civil defence arrows on the tuning dial, these will be at the 640 & 1240 kHz positions. Although generally used from 1953 to 1963, many radios still had CD marks for some time after and were not just used on radios for the American market since the tuning dials were generic.
The radio could just spring to life on its own after five minutes or so with a fresh battery. If the radio has not been used for many years it could take a short while for the electrolytic capacitors to reform.
Neil
Old 27th Mar 2024, 9:15 pm   #12
paulsherwin

Most HK radios of this type were primarily sold in the UK, and didn't have US CD markings on the tuning scale despite being marked in kHz rather than wavelengths.
Old 27th Mar 2024, 9:30 pm   #13
granazis
Tetrode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_RK View Post
I'd go with late '60s, and I think you'll find the tuning range is in kc/s (kHz), roughly 550 to 1600, standard medium wave. Occasional models did use wavelength calibration, but in that case it would be something like 200-550m. Entry-level pocket set of the day, retailing at or around 39/6d.

Paul
a 188-558 can only indicate "metres" That's why I think mid 60s, from the late 60s they used khz
Old 27th Mar 2024, 10:15 pm   #14
Paul_RK
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by granazis View Post
188-558 can only indicate "metres" That's why I think mid 60s, from the late 60s they used khz
If those are the markings, I'm sure you're right about wavelength calibration. My thinking was based on your original post where you said that 118m. was at one end of the scale.

Most of the Hong Kong pocket sets I've seen even from the very early '60s have frequency dials, so I think the style is more of an indicator of the age of the set than the wavelength-calibrated dial.

Paul
Old 28th Mar 2024, 10:10 am   #15
AD360 Rob
Hexode

I would first, clean contacts of the on/off switch and earphone socket (if fitted) next see if it draws any current. If so then the switch and at least some of it is operating. As has been mentioned if you get a click from the speaker and maybe some hiss then AF side is probably working. The main failing on these sets is the electrolytics which may reform to some extent of it is left powered on for a while. Check the fine wires from the ferrite rod aerial, they can fracture. A quick and easy check to see if the local oscillator is working is to use a second AM radio tuned to about mid band held close to the suspect set, tune the suspect set across the band and see if you can pick up any whistles on the other radio. If you can then the Local osc. is probably working. If not then you could be looking at transistor faliure. Unfortunately, little to no service information exists for these radios but as has been mentioned, they are relatively simple designs.
AD360 Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Mar 2024, 1:25 pm   #16
granazis
Tetrode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_RK View Post
Quote:
188-558 can only indicate "metres" That's why I think mid 60s, from the late 60s they used khz
If those are the markings, I'm sure you're right about wavelength calibration. My thinking was based on your original post where you said that 118m. was at one end of the scale.

Most of the Hong Kong pocket sets I've seen even from the very early '60s have frequency dials, so I think the style is more of an indicator of the age of the set than the wavelength-calibrated dial.

Paul
Yes, for a example it has a "430" this cannot be KHz... I don't think that anyone in the 70s thought in wavelength terms (at least not the target audience for cheap pocket radios, ie younger people)
I have found photos of the back that are nearly identical like this: https://www.radiomuseum.org/images/r...8b_2639186.jpg which also has a "MODEL" on it. Or this https://www.radiomuseum.org/images/r...8b_2639188.jpg that also includes schematic, missing in mine but the other text is identical. These come from a (possibly) 1968 radio.
It may be one of those "7- transistor" radios. There something there looking like a transistor but different from the other 6.
Two have a very visible 148 - so they must be the common then BC148 - they also say USA - so the components aren't Japanese.
Here are some more pics. I took photos then took it apart - a fault is immediately obvious: the battery negative is not connected anywhere.
So the first thing will be to solder it and see if it works. Any ideas where it need to be connected?
Perhaps I can use as a guide the schematic in the photo photo of the link above.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	430TR.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	112.8 KB
ID:	295516   Click image for larger version

Name:	insideTRback2.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	83.2 KB
ID:	295517   Click image for larger version

Name:	openedTR.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	36.6 KB
ID:	295518   Click image for larger version

Name:	tr148.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	295519   Click image for larger version

Name:	insideTR.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	295520  

Old 28th Mar 2024, 1:27 pm   #17
granazis
Tetrode

Quote:
Originally Posted by AD360 Rob View Post
I would first, clean contacts of the on/off switch and earphone socket (if fitted) next see if it draws any current. If so then the switch and at least some of it is operating. As has been mentioned if you get a click from the speaker and maybe some hiss then AF side is probably working. The main failing on these sets is the electrolytics which may reform to some extent of it is left powered on for a while. Check the fine wires from the ferrite rod aerial, they can fracture. A quick and easy check to see if the local oscillator is working is to use a second AM radio tuned to about mid band held close to the suspect set, tune the suspect set across the band and see if you can pick up any whistles on the other radio. If you can then the Local osc. is probably working. If not then you could be looking at transistor faliure. Unfortunately, little to no service information exists for these radios but as has been mentioned, they are relatively simple designs.
As one can see - now that I have opened it, the battery negative is not connected anywhere. Once I have found where it goes and solder it there it is certainly not going to work.
Thank you for the tip about checking the LO.
Old 28th Mar 2024, 1:58 pm   #18
Paul_RK
Dekatron

Quote:
I don't think that anyone in the 70s thought in wavelength terms (at least not the target audience for cheap pocket radios, ie younger people)
I think for a long time nearly everyone in the UK did - well into the 70s, perhaps into the 80s 247 meant Radio 1, 208 Luxembourg - and the changeover seems to have been driven by the demise of the UK radio industry, resulting in the market dominance of imported sets not designed specifically for the UK.

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ad.php?t=25670

Paul
Old 28th Mar 2024, 3:00 pm   #19
paulsherwin

The transistors are almost certainly NPN silicon. They may indeed be American - the US majors had built up production by then, and were starting to dump large numbers on the market. In fact, many of them look like the legendary 2N2926, which was one of the first cheap jellybean general purpose transistors and dominated the hobby mags around 1970.

https://www.alldatasheet.com/datashe...SS/2N2926.html

Find the main decoupling electrolytic, which will probably be 100uF or so. The battery +ve connection will go to whichever PCB track goes to the +ve side, and -ve connection... you've guessed it.
Old 28th Mar 2024, 6:17 pm   #20
granazis
Tetrode

Yes, the radio works! I connected the -ve to the PCB and it worked. Apparently though it should be connected to the on/off switch. The way I did it it doesn't switch off. Problem is that cables around the on/off switch are too cramped and cannot - at present - connect it there. I will try to find the correct place.
As for the origin, from what I have seen so far it must be one of the AITC/ITC pocket transistor radios made in the "British Crown Colony of Hong Kong" most likely between 1968 and the early 1970s. Although the wavelength dial remains a puzzle pointing to something earlier - I haven't seen a single example (when it comes to pocket radios of the 60s) with wavelength (188-556). Thank you all for the input and help!
Will try some "DXing" with it tonight!!