UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Other Discussions > Forum Announcements and Comments

Notices

Forum Announcements and Comments Announcements about forum changes will be made in this section. All new threads here now require moderator approval.

Closed Thread

Old 12th Nov 2014, 5:05 pm   #1

Default Closing a thread.

We all appreciate (an awful lot) the work by our mods looking after this forum. I would like a reason for threads being closed. I must have been responsible for a few being closed for 'being a bit off topic' but never have known if it was me, or why, if I had maybe, I (and others) would have the insight not to be so silly.

I wouldn't mind a comment such as 'merlinmaxwell said..., and that's why the thread is closed'. I would learn.

Old 12th Nov 2014, 5:40 pm   #2
paulsherwin

Default Re: Closing a thread.

Threads are usually closed because they have run their course and are starting to ramble, or because they have been inactive for years and we don't want to have to deal with newbies hijacking them. More often than not the closing mod will post an explanation if the reason isn't obvious.

It's unusual for threads to be closed because of a particular post by a single member - thread closure isn't some sort of punishment.

Sales and wanted threads are routinely closed when the transaction is complete or the OP requests it.

We can and do reopen threads if somebody asks with a good reason.
Old 13th Nov 2014, 3:13 am   #3
julie_m
Dekatron

Default Re: Closing a thread.

VBulletin lets you report posts even in a closed thread, so if you need to contact a moderator to get a thread reopened then you could just report the last post in it. They will get an e-mail with a link straight to the reported post, where there will also be a link to reopen the thread.

Obviously, be grown-up about it -- remember, forum staff are all volunteers -- and only request for a thread to be reopened if you have something insightful to say that really belongs there. Otherwise, you could just start a new thread; and if the moderators deem it necessary, they can merge the old and new threads together afterwards.