UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 31st May 2013, 10:07 pm   #1
MICK1985
Pentode

Default Help with Murphy A130 radio lights

Hi guys.

Please can someone advise whether the U404 valve, which is blown on one side, would stop the display lights from working on one side? Either lamp will work in the right hand holder, but neither lamp will work in the left hand holder.

Many thanks, Mick.
Old 1st Jun 2013, 1:09 am   #2
matthewhouse
Octode

Default Re: Re help with murphy radio lights

If you don't already have the service manual I would highly recommend getting the manufacturers version, as it goes into great detail. You can purchase a copy from this forum by clicking the big box at the very top right of this page.

From what I can see the two bulbs are in parallel so if one works so should the other. I'd check for a broken or buckled contact in the bulb holder. The service manual mentions the importance of a rubber insulating sleeve fitted to the holders. The bulbs take their power from the same place as the PEN45 valve heater

Could you please explain: blown one side U404 valve? This valve is a single rectifier diode.
Old 1st Jun 2013, 1:27 am   #3
Steve_P
Dekatron

An A130 is likely to be an AC version, but in the case of the A130 and the U130, they both use a half wave rectifier valve.

Sheet 994 has come to hand here, as my DVD has gone walkies! But anyway...

The A130 has an Auto Transformer and the bulbs are wired in Parallel. So I would check the sockets and the wiring.

The service manual is here.... http://www.service-data.com/product....75/5111/m13875 and it's jolly good value for money.

Does the set work apart from this?

Cheers,

Steve P.
Old 1st Jun 2013, 2:04 am   #4
MICK1985
Pentode

Hi.

Thanks for the details. Yes the radio is working. What I mean by "blown one side" is that there is a black patch on the glass near the bottom right hand side. It does still light up, but not very brightly. This would not cause my problem would it?

Thanks, Mike.
Old 1st Jun 2013, 9:48 am   #5
Tractorfan
Dekatron

Location: St. Frajou, l'Isle en Dodon, Haute Garonne, France.(Previously: Ellesmere Port, Cheshire, UK.)
Smile Re: Help with Murphy A130 radio lights

Hi,
The black patch on the glass is probably perfectly normal. It is more than likely the "getter" which absorbs any stray traces of oxygen left after the evacuation process during manufacture. If the patch should ever become white on a valve, it means that the valve has lost its vacuum and is useless.
The dull glow is normal too.
Cheers, Pete
Old 1st Jun 2013, 11:28 am   #6
MICK1985
Pentode

Default Re: Help with Murphy A130 radio lights

Hi.

As the valve's working fine I'm going have a look at the wiring to the lamp holders to see what's wrong resulting in only one side working.

Thanks, Mike
Old 1st Jun 2013, 3:04 pm   #7
matthewhouse
Octode

Has this set been repaired? If the capacitors are original I would at the very least replace C40 (manufacturers manual). Do also be aware that although this set uses a transformer, it is a live chassis design. If live is connected to the chassis the chassis and bulb holders will be at full mains voltage. Do not handle the chassis or bulb holders with the mains lead connected, also ensure the neutral wire goes to chassis. Do not rely on the mains switch to disconnect the power, it is a 2 pole switch. If the live side is stuck closed the chassis will become live with the switch off even though the radio will appear dead. C1 and C3 need to be replaced with modern 'Class Y' types if this has not been done already.
Old 1st Jun 2013, 8:44 pm   #8
MICK1985
Pentode

HI thanks for the advice so if i replace these parts it may bring both light working agien ?? sorry new to all this radio refurb stuff most caps have been replaced and both bulbs work just one side does not but wires are fine and so are holders seem ok given age but thanks for advice but i have noticed today that the bulbs fittied where not 6v 0.5a but 6.5v 0.5a would this had any effect on any parts do you think as i thought this radio bulbs would be 6v 0.5a or am i wrong ?? please advice cheers mike
Old 1st Jun 2013, 10:31 pm   #9
Station X

The failure of a known good lamp to light on one side can only be down to faulty wiring between the lamp holders or failure of the lamp holder itself. Try doing some continuity tests with the set unplugged.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 1st Jun 2013, 10:35 pm   #10
matthewhouse
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by MICK1985 View Post
HI thanks for the advice so if i replace these parts it may bring both light working agien ??
No C40 needs to be in good condition to prevent expensive damage to the audio output transformer, mains transformer and output valve.

C1 and C3 need to be safety rated as they protect the user from risk of electric shock from the aerial and earth sockets on the back of the radio.

This fault can only be a bad contact in the holder or faulty wiring at the holder.
Old 1st Jun 2013, 11:15 pm   #11
MICK1985
Pentode

HI thanks so if i change the wireing first and if still no joy any ideia where im going to get replacement lamp holders from for this set as its an unuseal way of doing them as there enclosed in like a rubber ring can you advice also what bulbs should i be useing in this set would 6.5v 0.5a do any harm if used ?? many thanks mike
Old 1st Jun 2013, 11:34 pm   #12
Station X

Don't change the wiring it may be OK. Test it for continuity.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 2nd Jun 2013, 12:08 am   #13
MICK1985
Pentode

HI ok thanks i do that first if no joy its probly the wireing if not its probly the old lamp holder givein up the ghost after all these years saying that just takeing a look at the inside of the none working lamp holder there is sings of what looks like rust maybe this makeing the problem umm thanks for all the advice guys im most greatfull to you all for helping me best wishes mike
Old 2nd Jun 2013, 12:21 am   #14
ValveMan
Retired Dormant Member

Hi,

I had a similar problem with a radio I repaired. It turned out to be a bad contact in the lamp holder. Another simple thing is to check both bulb values. I worked on a radio in the past (bush dac90a) which had one light lighting and the other not. In the end I found one bulb was 1.5v and the other 3v. I don't have access to the service data but if the lamps are in series this may well be the problem, on the other hand, if they are in parallel it is most likely a bad lamp holder or as the others have said bad continuity.

Regards, Dylan
Old 2nd Jun 2013, 12:27 am   #15
MICK1985
Pentode

HI ok thanks for that advice cheers mike
Old 2nd Jun 2013, 6:12 pm   #16
MICK1985
Pentode

HI thanks guys sorted by changing a bad wire now both holders are working but what are the bulbs that would be required for this set as I've only got sets of 6.5V 300mA left. Would these be OK to use or would 6.5V 0.5A be better to use please can someone advise'

Many thanks, Mike.
Old 2nd Jun 2013, 6:31 pm   #17
wireful3
Retired Dormant Member

6.5V 300mA should be OK. In fact this is a typical value in many sets
Old 2nd Jun 2013, 7:03 pm   #18
matthewhouse
Octode

The service manual states 6.2V 300mA, so the 6.5V 300mA ones will be fine.
Old 2nd Jun 2013, 7:43 pm   #19
MICK1985
Pentode

Hi.

Thanks guys for all your advice and help with the problem I've been having with this set. I'm most grateful to you all for everything.

Best wishes, Mike.
Closed Thread