UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 23rd May 2022, 8:27 pm   #1
GentlemanJohn
Diode

Default ITR London copper clock.

Good evening. I’m in possession of an international time recording clock /London London copper spun clock. It originally came out of a carpet factory called Brintons. I am trying to renovate it and would like any information possible especially with the coils which I have not tested as yet but I can see on them they are 24 V. I would Appreciate if I knew what diodes/resistors are required. Any advice would be greatly received.

Last edited by GentlemanJohn; 23rd May 2022 at 8:38 pm. Reason: Description mistake
Old 23rd May 2022, 8:36 pm   #2
paulsherwin

Default Re: Ltr london copper clock

Some pictures would help, particularly of the motor and mechanism.

24V motors would be very unusual in an electric clock. Are you sure they're not 240V?
Old 23rd May 2022, 9:20 pm   #3
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

It's not "Ltr" as the title says, but "ITR" as in International Time Recorders, which became IBM, I think.

Brintons' factory was apparently built in the 1920s, so your clocks probably date from then: https://www.***********/photos/28083135@N06/7139505549

See here for some info on the master clocks: https://clockdoc.org/default.aspx?aid=1903

The "slaves" often worked from 24V DC. I think your clock may be one of these, and needs a specially-timed pulse to drive it. If you don't have a master clock, then little electronic modules are available which work very well:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/114785375...BoCaz4QAvD_BwE

https://www.electric-clocks.co.uk/Im...ockdrivea.html

I have one of the former type driving our big ITR slave clock in the dining room. It works faultlessly, year after year.

As Paul's said, pictures please!

Last edited by Nickthedentist; 23rd May 2022 at 9:30 pm.
Old 23rd May 2022, 9:28 pm   #4
Dave Moll
Dekatron

International Time Recording Company was amalgamated into The Computing-Tabulating-Recording Company (CTR) which, as Nick says, was incorporated into International Business Machines (IBM).
Old 24th May 2022, 10:56 am   #5
David Simpson
Nonode

PM reply sent. David
Old 24th May 2022, 11:06 am   #6
Station X

Default Re: ITR London copper clock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickthedentist View Post
It's not "Ltr" as the title says, but "ITR" as in International Time Recorders, which became IBM, I think.
Thread title updated.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 26th May 2022, 10:55 pm   #7
mark_in_manc
Octode

Default Re: ITR London copper clock.

ITR slave clocks take a 24v pulse every minute. They have three wires connected to the slave unit, which are switched by a microswitch operating on the hour (at least mine do, from 1960s). If this is the case, you might find things easiest if you re-wire the slave coil just across two wires and neglect the microswitch. But mine also use a semiconductor diode in the slave, which yours will not, so perhaps they are very different!
Old 15th Jun 2022, 6:49 pm   #8
GentlemanJohn
Diode

Thank you everyone for your information has been greatly received. I am rather busy at the moment and I’ve just read all the messages given to me. Once again thank you very much most appreciated.
Closed Thread