UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 12th May 2022, 3:54 pm   #1
G4BZI Roger
Pentode

Default 6BE6 mixer circuitry puzzle

I'm restoring an M&G 3 ssb transceiver from the 1960s but am puzzled about the receive 1st mixer circuitry.The mixer uses a 6BE6 which mixes the VFO output with the amplified incoming signal to give the IF (8625 kHz) which then passes through a filter.
The VFO runs at 8625 minus signal on 160 and 80m and signal minus 8625 on 20m and is injected to G1. The incoming signal is injected to G3 and this grid has negative cutoff bias applied during transmit. The anode load is 220k.
The puzzle is the screen (G2/G4) - this is fed with HT via a 220k resistor which is decoupled to chassis. The resistor/decoupler junction is connected to the screen via a parallel tuned circuit which seems to be resonant on 4.45MHz if I believe my GDO.
Can anyone explain the purpose of this tuned circuit?
TIA
Roger
G4BZI
Old 12th May 2022, 4:49 pm   #2
Cruisin Marine
Heptode

Default Re: 6BE6 mixer circuitry puzzle

Being a parallel tuned circuit, I am guessing it is rejecting half the IF frequency, 8625 divided by 2= 4312.5, why? I cannot say.
Closed Thread