UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 28th Apr 2022, 5:16 pm   #41
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

Default Re: Yaesu FT1000mp with dead controller. What now?

A variation on this is to get a very thin piece of stainless steel wire (thin metal guitar string is ideal) and form a tiny right angle hook on the end, melt the solder on the pin's pad and use the wire hook to lift the pin up until it is just clear of the pad.

Don't bend the pin too far up or it may snap off when you bend it back down to resolder it to the pad.
Old 28th Apr 2022, 5:30 pm   #42
rjmusto
Pentode

Location: Mountain Castle, Modeligo, County Waterford, Republic of Ireland.

Heck. Now there’s an idea - never thought of that. Thanks for the suggestion.

May not work though, as I will be looking for something that’s pulling down one (or more) of the uP outputs, so removing the vcc may not alter that. But certainly a easy way to start.
Old 28th Apr 2022, 6:58 pm   #43
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

Looks like the uP itself has 80 pins but I don't know how fine the pitch of the pins will be. What you probably really want to do is lift individual pins on the uP to see if you can tell which pin that excess current is flowing out of, and to what, but only you will be able to judge whether you feel capable of melting the solder on individual uP pins, lifting them and resoldering them with minimum disturbance to the pins on either side. You should be able to rule out quite a few of the uP pins by reasoning, for example it probably isn't going to be the pins which the crystal is connected to.
Old 29th Apr 2022, 2:17 am   #44
Radio Wrangler

With a high resolution voltmeter you can measure the drop along even an SMT pin and avoid the risk of soldering and bending pins. It'll show you where the current's going.

I've done this quite successfully on a number of occasions. These instruments look like things for metrology geeks and cal labs, but if you come across one going for a low price, it can be a valuable tool and you can do some remarkable tricks with one. You don't even need to know it's calibrated, it's the resolution which counts here.

Just something to have in the back of your mind in case you ever come across a bargain.

With a mundane voltmeter or scope you can probe around the pins looking for something not close to either the ground pin potential or the Vcc pins potentials. This might get you quickly to any bad load.

David
Old 3rd May 2022, 6:57 pm   #45
rjmusto
Pentode

Location: Mountain Castle, Modeligo, County Waterford, Republic of Ireland.

One last post on this thread I think…..

After a lot of checking, it seemed fairly clear that the problem centred around the (to use a very non technical term) top left of the uP.

So I took the plunge and got the heat gun out and started removing ICs from the board. And after removing a whole bunch, with these ports on the uP then not going anywhere, it still showed the exact same high current draw and the output ports not switching. So conclusion has to be it is the uP itself that has failed.

So now on a hunt for a replacement board.

Many thanks to all for your input to this thread.
Closed Thread