UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 19th May 2022, 10:51 am   #21
Roger Ramjet
Heptode

Default Re: X 1 Y2 Capacitor , Dual Purpose??

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie_ce View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Ramjet View Post
This is because alternative earth leakage protection (other than RCD) has to be considered when multiple computers are plugged into the same electrical sub circuit.
Do you mean an IT system? Is this what is used in data centres?

If I recall correctly total earth leakage current <=9mA is recommended for domestic circuits for each 30mA RCD. On an (outdated) split load board, this may mean swapping circuits between RCDs to prevent unwanted tripping.

Nowadays with modern electronics the earth leakage currents will soon add up.
Hi Eddie, yes in my day they used to call them computer suites i.e. rooms full of desktop computers.

I am sure there were alternatives to RCD detection in these applications & seem to recall they used a device similar to the (now banned) Voltage Operated units. In theory this unit monitors the actual earth current flowing back to the diss board and I would assume the sub circuit would have to be safeguard against parallel earth paths.

Rog
Closed Thread