UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 3rd Jul 2008, 3:00 pm   #1
geofy
Retired Dormant Member

Post Dynatron comms receiver

I had to give the insides a dusting and polish the valves so took a few pics of it, not many of these around. Made in the early fifties by Marconi Marine for Dynatron. Valve line up has several W77 Z77 D77. The audio stage has Z77 6V6G a 5Z4G Rec and KT66 shunt stabiliser. The DIN socket for the gram input is something I added, along with a few mains suppresser components and a replacement TCC 2uF capacitor when I put in a faulty rectifier valve and shorted the original.

Geof
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dyn2.jpg
Views:	415
Size:	43.4 KB
ID:	18270   Click image for larger version

Name:	dyn3.jpg
Views:	451
Size:	23.5 KB
ID:	18271   Click image for larger version

Name:	dyn4.jpg
Views:	379
Size:	41.9 KB
ID:	18274   Click image for larger version

Name:	dyn5.jpg
Views:	376
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	18275  

Last edited by geofy; 3rd Jul 2008 at 3:06 pm.
Old 3rd Jul 2008, 9:03 pm   #2
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.
Default Re: Dynatron comms receiver

This is interesting. I saw a Dynatron RG in auction at Battle last year but didn't pursue it! Later I saw this [probaly identical] radio unit in a stand alone
domestic unit and realised my instincts had been right! I didn't know that Dynatron did any comms rx's though. Do you have an history on this set?
Thanks for posting. Dave W
Old 3rd Jul 2008, 10:28 pm   #3
geofy
Retired Dormant Member

Post Re: Dynatron comms receiver

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave walsh View Post
This is interesting. I saw a Dynatron RG in auction at Battle last year but didn't pursue it! Later I saw this [probaly identical] radio unit in a stand alone
domestic unit and realised my instincts had been right! I didn't know that Dynatron did any comms rx's though. Do you have an history on this set?
Thanks for posting. Dave W
Hello Dave
The history of this set is a few of them in various states were returned to the Marconi Marine Company, Electra House, Chelmsford (Now Vindus Volkswagen, is nothing sacred, though it keeps the building in good order) to be scrapped, and an uncle worked there and bought this one, probably on a shilling scrap note. But he had not thought of his wife's reaction to bringing a hundred weight of radio home, you're not having that thing in the house
So I ended up with a surprise Christmas present a few years ago
It is interesting that you saw one not so far away, it is quite likely that a Marconi employee bought this, there were six in all, and fitted it into a more domestic cabinet. The short-wave AM goes from 10 to 80 metres and it has MW, LW also a gram input, and an audio amp to rival any good quality hi-fi valve amplifier, it was originally a 50 Ohm output but there is also a 15 Ohm tapping. It has given reliable service since I have owned it, even after I did a daft thing and fitted a dud rec valve as an experiment, needless to say that valve met with a sticky end the whole thing uses 100W and has an HT standby switch. You should have got hold of the one you saw!

Geof
Old 3rd Jul 2008, 11:30 pm   #4
Sean Williams
Dekatron

Default Re: Dynatron comms receiver

Well, I have a Tuner exactly the same here!

I look forward to getting the amp made!

A cracking set though!
Sean
Old 4th Jul 2008, 9:01 am   #5
geofy
Retired Dormant Member

Post Re: Dynatron comms receiver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Williams View Post
Well, I have a Tuner exactly the same here!

I look forward to getting the amp made!

A cracking set though!
Sean
Hello Sean,
Have you the model T99B tuner, where did this one come from. They are certainly made with money being no object. It could be connected to any amplifier, as long as it gets an HT and LT supply of course. I have not been able to get any technical information on the units though. I have quite a few spare valves for the set, the only unusual ones in the tuner are a Mazda X79 which appears to be an oscillator and in the gram input 6BR7 and the tuning indicator Y61. Can you post a picture of your unit?

Geof
Closed Thread