UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 29th May 2008, 12:27 pm   #1
Tez Burke
Retired Dormant Member

Default Decca Navigator Mk IV

Hi all, just picked up one of these proto-GPS devices, made by RACAL and dating from, I'd guess, the 1980s. It runs on 12v dc and came originally from a glider. Anyone familiar with these things, and can any of you think of any use it could possibly be put to now? It appears to come with some kind of active antenna.
Old 29th May 2008, 12:54 pm   #2
Steve Smith
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Decca Navigator Mk IV

Can you post a picture?

Betwen 1985 and 1988 I worked for a company who made ship's navigation equipment including items for Decca.

If I remember correctly, the Navigator was just a fluxgate compass and the pilot was the compass with an auto-steering system.

Neither of these sound like the item you have unless you are confusing the 'active antenna' for the compass detector. These were made from black (usually) ABS, were about 5" tall and 4" diameter and had a flat base with three mounting slots. On top were two adjustment points to correct for magnetism inherent in the ship.

Decca also used the Navigator name for their low frequency radio system so you may have one of these.

Either way, I would like to see a picture if possible.

Steve.
Old 29th May 2008, 1:52 pm   #3
Variometer
Retired Dormant Member

Decca Navigators were extensively used at sea until satellite navigation tooK over. They are of no practical use now because the Decca transmissions were discontinued some time ago.
Bob
Old 29th May 2008, 6:08 pm   #4
dsergeant
Octode

Indeed the Decca Navigator chain closed down around 1999. I remember hearing them in our at that time 73kHz allocation. After they had closed down some amateurs were given access to the masts for experiments on the amateur 136kHz band, with good results - and also some of the equipment at the stations such as Litz wire was distributed among 136kHz experimenters. See one report using the Puckeridge mast at http://homepage.ntlworld.com/mike.de...cca/decca5.htm

Like the old Loran chain on 1.95MHz (which I witnessed going off air in the mid 1970s) the Decca system is now in the history books. Guess you can only use that box for spares.

Dave (G3YMC)
Old 29th May 2008, 10:01 pm   #5
dseymo1
Retired Dormant Member

Is your device rather like a larger version of a current GPS device, with an orange display? I had one like this given to me a few years ago - it appeared to work, but displayed a 'no signal' icon, whatever I connected to the antenna socket; presumably any local transmitters had already been shut down.
Old 29th May 2008, 10:59 pm   #6
russell_w_b
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsergeant View Post

Like the old Loran chain on 1.95MHz (which I witnessed going off air in the mid 1970s) the Decca system is now in the history books. Guess you can only use that box for spares.

Dave (G3YMC)
The new LORAN chain is strong as ever on 100kHz, however, with e-LORAN providing a 'harbour-mouth' accuracy navigational fix, as well as offering services (not yet taken up) that currently rely on GPS.

Your local e-LORAN station is at Anthorn, Cumbria.

Russell W. B.
G4YLI.
Old 22nd Jun 2008, 5:21 am   #7
majoconz
Heptode

Good explanation in Wikipedia. I remember using it on the Geordie Collier "Sir William Walker" in the mid 60's. Supposedly accurate to about 10metres, I remember having to tie up to a mooring buoy off Gravesend in thick fog. We had been told on VHF radio that there would be a dockyard matey on the buoy so using the Navigator we edged our way forward to the charted position and shouted "Ahoy" - he accused us of trying to run him down!
Closed Thread