UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Other Discussions > Homebrew Equipment

Notices

Homebrew Equipment A place to show, design and discuss the weird and wonderful electronic creations from the hands of individual members.

Closed Thread

Old 20th Dec 2014, 10:03 pm   #21
Radio Wrangler

Default Re: Case/housing for a miniature guitar amp. Looking for inspiration.

There's going to be an almighty number of fancy chocolate boxes heading for landfill any day now. Also lots of little tins and all sorts of packaging.

Bottles and all sorts of cans.

Campbell's condensed soup for that Warhol-popart thing?

David
Old 21st Dec 2014, 6:40 pm   #22
SurreyNick
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by G6Tanuki View Post
I've seen a MW radio built into a Carlsberg[1] lager can; ..... Other lagers are available.
Perhaps, but as we all know "Carlsberg...Probably the best lager in the world"

Thanks for keeping up the stream of ideas. It's great to have such a rich seam of inspiration to mine from. Most grateful. I still haven't settled on a final idea so please keep feeding more if you are so inclined

Nick
Old 21st Dec 2014, 7:07 pm   #23
llama
Octode

What about a hollowed out book with the pages stuck together? You could even match the book to the genre.

Regarding the on-off switch, that could be automatic when a cable is plugged in (think stereo jack, mono plug).
Graham
Old 21st Dec 2014, 7:15 pm   #24

Having had a beer with Nick, it's got to be McEwans export.

Old 22nd Dec 2014, 1:19 pm   #25
camallison
Heptode

I built a practice amp into a plastic tool box that was on offer at one of the DIY sheds. The speaker went in the end wall, and was backed with a "wadding" of woollen underlay and a 3mm ply backboard. Not sure if that added to the tone, but it stopped any booming inside the box. Being a toolbox, there was no question of how to carry it, a handle being present already. "Lockable" access to change the battery was there in the form of a click-to-lock catch, and spare space in the box carried all the various leads he needed.

Colin
Old 7th Jan 2015, 3:50 pm   #26
SurreyNick
Heptode

Thank you all for the many suggestions you provided for an enclosure for a mini portable guitar amp, I have plenty of material for future builds. As it turned out the choice was made for me!

For Christmas my son was given a nice guitar-themed embossed leather wallet and that came in a small tin, the size of an old 2oz tobacco tin, which also had a amp-themed design. He asked me to put his mini amp in that and so that's what I did.

As you can see from the pictures It turned out OK..ish. What's important is he likes it

To play over the speaker one removes the lid, to play over headphones one can leave the lid in place. The toggle switch is used to select which. It also has a gain knob to give a more gritty sound, while volume is controlled via the input source. I have also been using it to listen to my iPod, hence the little 6.3mm to 3.5mm adaptor shown in the pictures.

Nick
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Finished amp - photo 03.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	130.1 KB
ID:	102407   Click image for larger version

Name:	Finished amp - photo 04.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	139.2 KB
ID:	102408  
Old 7th Jan 2015, 5:27 pm   #27
Ti Pwun
Heptode

Thumbs up Re: Case/housing for a miniature guitar amp. Looking for inspiration.

Very nice - definitely looks the part.
Old 7th Jan 2015, 8:13 pm   #28

That look very good, the light is a nice touch, emulating the neons on 'proper' valve amps.

Closed Thread