UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 26th Jun 2022, 2:23 pm   #1
chiilyuk
Triode

Default Leak Stereofetic, tuning wandering

I've finished recapping the PSU of a new to me Leak Stereofetic tuner and it works very well, though it has a habit of wandering off station over about 5 minutes after turn on.

I know a little bit about radios, but not enough to realign.

I wondering whether this simply something like the the PSU settling down as the set warms up and I would need to re-set the PSU voltages after a few minutes of on time, or whether it could be a component fault.

When on station the tuner sounds lovely, through a Radford STA15 and a pair of 57s...
Old 26th Jun 2022, 4:00 pm   #2
Radio Wrangler

Default Re: Leak Stereofetic, tuning wandering

The wandering won't be fixed be realignment. Something is drifting and changing. Components in the local oscillator are first up for suspicion, also the grounding wiper contact on the tuning capacitor may be happier after a clean (everyone forgets it!)

Some LO capacitors may have been carefully chosen for special temperature coefficients to counter the drift of others.

David
Old 26th Jun 2022, 4:55 pm   #3
snowman_al
Octode

Hi Chiily,
Did you see this post https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...83&postcount=3 ?

Service info here https://www.audioservicemanuals.com/...service-manual

Alan
Old 26th Jun 2022, 5:28 pm   #4
McMurdo
Dekatron

you are engaging the AFC after you've found the station aren't you? Otherwise they will drift as they get warm.

AFC off > tune station > AFC on.
Old 26th Jun 2022, 10:03 pm   #5
chiilyuk
Triode

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowman_al View Post
Alan,

Thanks for the pointer. I had read elsewhere that the PSU voltages were critical and the PSU caps under spec for the voltage, especially if the bulb fails. With that thought, I have replaced all the caps in the PSU, including the trimmers (so black with age). Though I will re-check the voltages and ripple once it has warmed up and the signal drifted a little.

I also replaced C98 with a 22uf Tant as recommend on this forum, though I can't find the post now.
Old 26th Jun 2022, 10:04 pm   #6
chiilyuk
Triode

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMurdo View Post
you are engaging the AFC after you've found the station aren't you? Otherwise they will drift as they get warm.

AFC off > tune station > AFC on.
Do you know I don't think I am. I shall give it a go. Thanks for the info
Old 30th Jun 2022, 1:40 pm   #7
chiilyuk
Triode

After about an hour of being turned on I checked the PSU voltages. Both the 9V and -5V rails were spot on, about 10mV out and ripple was no more than 2.5mV on both supply rails..

The AFC does work quite well and maintains the lock, though I think I need a better aerial than a length of stripped coax for better sound quality.
Old 30th Jun 2022, 2:31 pm   #8
Trevor
Octode

Nice one I used to sell the Stereofetic a good tuner but critical re supplies In my opinion much better than the troughline Where I live the troughlines are not selective enough but to fair their were maybe only 3-4 channels when they were made
Closed Thread