UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 23rd Jun 2022, 11:52 pm   #1
JimFromSurrey
Tetrode

Question JRA DC10 (dual chamber) floor standing speakers from South Africa, anyone know these?

Photos in my album here : JRA DC10 speakers

A beautiful, and seemingly very rare, pair of speakers i got a few months ago - does anyone know anything about them or the manufacturers, please?

All i know is that they came over from South Africa 32 years ago with the person i bought them from. Apparently, it took him over a year to save up for them and they do sound superb.

The only reference to JRA in speaker terms is that they might've been developed by "John Raddle Acoustics" in Pretoria, South Africa, but if I google that I get nothing, perhaps the wrong spelling of the name - the person who wrote that in a forum somewhere didn't seem sure.

I've tried to pull the drivers out to see if there's any identification on them but they appear to be firmly glued in place and won't budge a millimetre after the retaining screws have been removed.

Does anyone know anything about these speakers or the JRA brand?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	800px_DSC_5402.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	259683   Click image for larger version

Name:	800px_DSC_5395.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	259684  
Old 24th Jun 2022, 1:42 am   #2
joebog1
Banned

Default Re: JRA DC10 (dual chamber) floor standing speakers from South Africa, anyone know th

The movers will most likely be held in place with foam tape thats double sided. Its not really "tough " tape but after years in place being held down with mounting screws, it might seem like they are glued in place.
I would replace this tape if you remove the movers. Its cheap and freely available at hardware stores. Its locally called " Draught Excluding Foam Tape ". Its very cheap.

Joe
Old 24th Jun 2022, 3:33 am   #3
Radio Wrangler

Default Re: JRA DC10 (dual chamber) floor standing speakers from South Africa, anyone know th

The tweeters suggest Audax to me.

David
Old 24th Jun 2022, 3:38 pm   #4
JimFromSurrey
Tetrode

Thanks Joe, i suspect you're right, i was tugging away at them and absolutely no give whatsoever. I'm thinking I'll make up something along the lines of treasury tags to spread the stress around the holes so i can up the force a bit but there's no 'lip' to get under to try and pry them away.

Thanks David, I've been told they looked like Audax units before so you may well be right

I don't know if I'm ever going to find out any more about these speakers!

Cheers, Jim
Closed Thread