UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 8th Nov 2017, 2:51 pm   #1
Waterd103
Retired Dormant Member

Default Comparing Akai SW-160 with SW-155

Hi, I'm looking for help deciding in a buy. A friend of mine have some SW-160 Akai speaker that i love how I sound. Ive seen in my local market in Argentina some SW-155 for 400 dollars. Everything electronics in argentina costs twice as much.
In any case I don't care as much as the price as if it's gonna sound as the SW-160 or worse. Anyone could help me with this? thanks.
Old 8th Nov 2017, 9:59 pm   #2
stevehertz
Dekatron

Default Re: Comparing Akai SW-160 with SW-155

To be perfectly honest, in the UK, Akai speakers are not a thing that we are particularly 'hot' on. Akai are/were mostly known for their excellent cassette recorders and tape recorders in the 70s. In over 40 years I have never heard anyone even make a comment about Akai speakers. That's not to make a statement of how good or bad they are, I personally, simply, don't have anything to put forwards on the subject. Like I say, Akai speakers are something that most hifi enthusiasts have little experience of. And who knows, maybe that in itself is a pointer as to how popular (unpopular?) they are/were. Sorry I can't be of more help, but for me at least, the subject of Akai speakers is one that I have never really come across.
Old 9th Nov 2017, 9:38 am   #3
camtechman
Nonode

Usually, Akai speakers and the same with other manufacturers e.g. Sony, Pioneer, etc were designed and suplied with & for a particular range of amplifiers & tuner/amps in the manufacturers range.

Do you have an Akai system that you want the Akai speakers for ?
Old 9th Nov 2017, 10:10 am   #4
camtechman
Nonode

Another problem with many manufacturer's speakers of the 1970's is that they used polyurethane foam rubber suspension on bass & mid range speakers. Unfortunately this foam rubber perished over the years, causing the speakers to malfunction.

This problem my be present on these Akai speakers. Be careful.
Old 9th Nov 2017, 10:18 am   #5
simpsons
Octode

$400 dollars is an awful lot of money for a 1970 speaker which, on looking at the reviews shown on Google, is more fashion than design.

I am unable to look into the local HIFI situation in Buenes Aries but eBay.ar is not exactly alive with products.

My first look would be eBay.com where the choice is very large and because shipping in the USA is second nature. The only issue is, for reasons I am unsure, South America or more specifically Argentena is not always included on the selection list for the cost.

However, there are companies who do offer that facility and you can easily get a quote.

Should you go down this path, I am sure BVWS members can offer advice on loudspeakers known for their sound reproduction.
Old 10th Nov 2017, 12:50 am   #6
simpsons
Octode

Just a thought, Uruguay has a facebook page Vintage Hi Fi Audio Uruguay which includes items for sale and I wonder there isn't one in Buenos Aires which does the same. I also see that in Montevideo there were more websites detailing equipment for sale with prices and this competition might help keep S/H prices more resonable.
Old 11th Nov 2017, 2:32 pm   #7
sp10mk11
Octode

I have a two way pair of Akai speakers that are transmission line loaded, Akai also made a made a smaller single driver pair, pretty nifty but sonically they need the loudness on and a gutsy amp to get any sound out of them.
Also why Akai did not damp the transmission line is any bodies guess

Good Luck
Gary
Closed Thread