UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 6th Aug 2009, 4:10 pm   #1
trainee joskin
Triode

Default Clansman 321

I know that it is not strictly vintage so I apologise to start with. I would like to know the system of modifying the 321 to work LSB as it only has USB as standard. I have searched the net for info and drawn a blank. TNX in advance trainee joskin
Old 7th Aug 2009, 3:09 pm   #2
radiotircoed
Pentode

Default Re: Clansman 321

What a surprise to see this message. I was in The Royal Signals and on the first engineering course to support the 321/351 in 1976. I demonstrated the sets in the back of a landrover at The Royal Tournament in 1976.

Having trained on transistored equipment at GEC and being told that I'd never see valve equipment again, I was surprised to see that valves were still top technology in the forces (EMP proof)

The RT 351 (VHF) had turret tune technlology and was a constant problem!

Always happy to help support maintenance of this kit if brain allows.....
Bob W
Old 7th Aug 2009, 3:17 pm   #3
GMB
Dekatron

Apparently the conversion method was documented in one of the VMARS magazines so you might want to try contacting them. The snag is that you will need some custom crystals made up which are not so cheap.

The "clansman_larkspur" yahoo group was the source of that information, and is itself another useful place to ask.
Old 8th Aug 2009, 9:14 pm   #4
Sparky67
Heptode

Yep - I'm sure message 2451 on the clansman_larkspur Yahoo group will be of interest to you trainee joskin, financially if not technically !

Martin

Bob - was the VRC353 the radio with the motor-rotated turret used to switch between bands ? I have had a few surplus 353s pass through my hands - some had constantly rotating turrets...
Old 10th Aug 2009, 12:19 pm   #5
radiotircoed
Pentode

Yes the Turret tuner was a constant source of problems, contacts and a bad batch of logic contol boards in the first run of radios...

It was a very long time ago though