UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 27th Jul 2009, 7:27 am   #1
M0AFJ, Tim
Hexode

Default Bletchley Park

Anyone going to Bletchley Park this weekend?, VMARS are exhibiting and there will be a WW2 German field station active..

http://www.bletchleypark.org.uk/cale...*&recID=567865

Tim
Old 27th Jul 2009, 9:20 am   #2
Electricdreams
Hexode

Default Re: Bletchley Park

Projectors Fans, Look out for the ABC Cinema Museum in Bletchley Park
Old 29th Jul 2009, 7:54 pm   #3
m0cemdave
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by M0AFJ, Tim View Post
Anyone going to Bletchley Park this weekend?, VMARS are exhibiting and there will be a WW2 German field station active..

http://www.bletchleypark.org.uk/cale...*&recID=567865

Tim
I have helped to put this event together and expect to be there, subject to not having to be at work at the weekend.

VMARS will have a substantial presence (it's their tenth anniversary) with equipment operational on various bands using the call GB10VMARS.

BVWS are exhibiting domestic radios and vintage TV's.

The aforementioned cinema will be showing radio-related short films.

Milton Keynes ARS and the RSGB will be operating the permanent BP shack as GB2BP and GB3RS, using CW, voice, data and video modes.

The Diplomatic Wireless Museum in Hut 1 will be open in the afternoons - this is absolutely a must-see for any visitor interested in vintage radio communications.

There will be a couple of lectures each day in the Mansion Ballroom - Saturday has "Radio Fingerprinting" and "Fishing For Tunny" whilst Sunday has "Post-WW2 Military Manpacks" plus a talk on the Y-Service, probably by one of the original participants.

(And yes, we do have a bandplan ! )

Beaumanor "Y" Station near Leicester will also be activated using GB2BMY and we hope to be in contact with them during the weekend.

Maybe there should be a meeting point for users of this message board?

Dave
m0cem
Old 30th Jul 2009, 11:22 pm   #4
m0cemdave
Octode

Default Re: Bletchley Park Sunday lectures

Just to add a note:

The lectures on Sunday afternoon will be by Bob King G3ASE, who worked at Arkley View collating intercept messages during WW2 and who has done extensive research into the history of the RSS and Y Service.

Dave.
Old 1st Aug 2009, 7:38 pm   #5
M0AFJ, Tim
Hexode

Brilliant day today, even the weather stayed kind for most of it, the vintage TV display was outstanding, loads of amateurs met, VMARS had some nice kit on display and working, congrats to all.

Lots of very interested public as well...
Old 1st Aug 2009, 8:40 pm   #6
Brased
Hexode

The BVWS display was impressive with all those working TVs and bakelite wireless sets. Congratulations to those who put on the display. It was well located too and did justice to the drawing room of the mansion.

I managed to attend two excellent lectures as well as the film show. The latter consisted of two films on wireless themes which I haven't seen before - 'Bridge Across Space' and 'Impulses' - the latter having some interesting historical snippets including film of Marconi and glimpses of the Burndept 'radio barrel organ' of 1923, etc.

The only real snag was that with the special events and also meeting various friends I had even less time to have a good look at the other exhibits. Fortunately the good folk who run the museum have recognised the problem so tickets are issued as season tickets valid for a whole year of visits. I'm going to have to use mine again.

Edward
Old 1st Aug 2009, 9:00 pm   #7
yesnaby
Octode

Hello,

At university one of our maths lecturers (Derek Taunt) had been in Hut 6 at Bletchley Park. Naturally he did not breathe a word about it, and I only found out 25 years later.

Michael
Old 1st Aug 2009, 11:18 pm   #8
Herald1360
Dekatron

Spent this afternoon at Bletchley Park going "Ooh, look I had / worked on one of those once!" along with what seemed to be a serious sample of the over fifty techie population of the south east!

It seems some of the RACAL gear I worked with fresh out of college is now museum fodder in its own right

A few pics......

...................TA1816 RF
Racal TA1816 PA module.. ..Reflectors Circular EKCOs Bakelite Telly
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TA1816.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	82.2 KB
ID:	27651   Click image for larger version

Name:	TA1816 RF Module.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	126.9 KB
ID:	27652   Click image for larger version

Name:	Reflectors.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	70.4 KB
ID:	27653   Click image for larger version

Name:	EKCO display.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	101.8 KB
ID:	27654   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bakelite Telly.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	69.5 KB
ID:	27655  

Old 2nd Aug 2009, 10:48 pm   #9
techiesteve
Pentode

Hi, I've just joined the forum, and was at Bletchley Park on Saturday and had a great time. Some of the old radio kit brought back memories. It was my third visit in the last year, I still need more time.

I took a few pictures there, the VMRAS pic is here http://www.***********/photos/sbell/3780144025/ and other pics from Bletchley Park from the three visits are here http://www.***********/photos/sbell/s...7606524408458/
Old 3rd Aug 2009, 7:42 am   #10
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

Had a lovely day out at BP on Sunday. Congratulations to all those who organised a superb display of vintage radio and TV. Lots of interesting sets well displayed in an excellent setting.

Got to see the rebuilt Colossus ticking away. It was definitely warm in there with all the valves glowing gently. The "bedstead" paper tape reader ran incredibly smoothly. It was also the first time I had got a decent close up view of the optical reader designed by Arnold Lynch. It was a lot bigger than I expected, using lenses to magnify the images of the holes to work with large photocells. I suppose this ought to have been obvious but it still came as a surprise.

Was also lucky enough to see a demo of the partly complete "Tunny Machine." This is an emulation of the Lorenz SZ42 using uniselectors and jackfields insted of rotors with pins. Once all the wheel settings had been found, whether by manual or Colossus methods, they were plugged up on the jackfields. Then the ciphertext was typed in and plaintext emerged on the teleprinter. The rebuilt Tunny Machine isn't quite at that stage yet but it's still an interesting exhibit.

They are also rebuilding a "Heath Robinson". This is the predecessor of Colossus. The same tape reader, except that it had to read 2 tapes in synchronism. Then relatively simple valve based counters to Wyn-Williams' design. Keeping 2 tapes in sync at high speed was very difficult which led to inconsistent results. Part of the genius of Tommy Flowers was realising that the key tape could be replaced by sets of thyratrons, connected in rings.
Old 3rd Aug 2009, 8:07 am   #11
Chris G0EYO
Pentode

Having trained with the Composite Signals Organisation ( GCHQ) at Bletchley Park in the early 60's those pictures of BP brought back many happy memories. I am the webmaster of the Eddystone User Group Website and would dearly love to include any pictures of Eddystone sets in the BP displays on our website. If anyone has pictures that they would be willing to let us upload then please send them to me via PM. Individual pics files of 500k or less will be ideal.

Thanks
Chris G0EYO
www.eddystoneusergroup.org.uk
Closed Thread