UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 30th Aug 2017, 4:02 pm   #1
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

Default Who made this reel to reel?

Hi there
While looking after a friend's repair shop (yes, they still exist) and waiting for customers I had a look in the storeroom of uncollected junk and spied this on top of much stuff. It looked sort of late Philips or Pioneer, but on closer inspection there's no name! I assume it's a cheapo designed to look impressive but I wondered if anyone had seen one before? I could just about get to the back but no details there either.
Odd!
Glyn
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0005.JPG
Views:	256
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	148633   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0006.JPG
Views:	193
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	148634   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0007.JPG
Views:	198
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	148635   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0008.JPG
Views:	168
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	148636  
Old 30th Aug 2017, 4:19 pm   #2
Reelman
Octode

Default Re: Who made this reel to reel?

That appears to be a Philips N7150. One of their last reel to reels, not one of the best. By this time plastic was being used for many of the parts with resultant decrease in reliability and difficulty in repairing.
Peter
Old 30th Aug 2017, 5:19 pm   #3
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

So it is! I thought it looked too cheaply made to be a Philips. I think I'll stick (literally!) with the N4407 I've got in for repair...
Thanks
Glyn
Old 30th Aug 2017, 5:50 pm   #4
Ted Kendall
Dekatron

None of the last Philips open reel machines were well built, in my view. Even the 4520, although of formidable performance, has flimsy controls and has exhibited a distressing tendency for things like reel motors to fall to bits, unlike the contemporary Revox, at whose level it was priced. This at a time when they were making the (mechanically) bomb-proof CD104...!
Old 31st Aug 2017, 6:49 pm   #5
barretter
Heptode

In a strange bit of synchronicity there is an article on the Philips N7150 in the new issue of Hi-Fi World which appeared in the shops today. The reviewer bought his for £20 and enjoys the sound but also details all the repairs he had to carry out to make it work, most of them caused by the inappropriate use of plastic in vital areas. An interesting read.
Closed Thread