UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 15th Sep 2017, 7:06 pm   #21
baceplate
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Interconnecting old telephones?

Thanks to everybody who posted. All my old phones have been converted to work on BT, the 232 have bellboxes. I am going to try the Panasonic 206, with a master socket on each extension and see how that goes. If it does not work I will go through all the advice I have been sent, and again thanks to everybody.bill

PS. Which is the best way to wire those DDK fittings they use with the Panasonic. Bill
Old 15th Sep 2017, 9:44 pm   #22
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

You have some DDK plugs, right?

They are reusable, prise up the clear part, insert the pair of wires into the inner two holes (do not strip the insulation) close the plug with firm thumb pressure.

Graham.
G3ZVT
Old 16th Sep 2017, 10:34 am   #23
baceplate
Retired Dormant Member

Cheers Graham, will try get this working and if I do will be looking at VoIP. Reading what some of the lads on here have got, I think I want some of that. Bill
Old 16th Sep 2017, 3:00 pm   #24
Oldcodger
Nonode

Might be a help - https://www.systemstl.co.uk/item/134...x-t206-manuals
To open the DDK, I used to use a medium jeweller screwdriver .
Manual shows how to wire one up ,and how to connect sockets for simple telephone and a system one.
Simple telephone ( domestic type) uses a standard socket wired to 2 &5 (MASTER). System uses 2&5 for the wires from the inner of DDK , and 3&4 to outer using a secondary socket.
Panasonic use a language of their own in the manual - An exchange is referred to as a CO ( American for call office)line.
Old 16th Sep 2017, 8:53 pm   #25
baceplate
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks Oldcodger will have a good read of them before I do anything.

Bill.
Old 16th Sep 2017, 8:53 pm   #26
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by baceplate View Post
Cheers Graham, will try get this working and if I do will be looking at VoIP. Reading what some of the lads on here have got, I think I want some of that. Bill
Glad to hear that Bill. My Raspberry Pi Asterisk server has been running for well over 4 years with only one major crash.

Graham.
G3ZVT
Old 16th Sep 2017, 9:32 pm   #27
julie_m
Dekatron

A Raspberry Pi is a great choice if you are running SIP hardware or software phones and a SIP trunk to the outside world. But if you want to run analogue telephones, and especially if you want to connect to an analogue landline, you need separate ATAs (Analogue Terminal Adaptors) and the setup can quickly become unwieldy.

In this situation, you would be better off with a "proper" PC (i.e., a motherboard with expansion slots) and an FXS+FXO card. (I've also got a GSM card in mine, so it's also a mobile phone; but then again, I'm a show-off.) You can get Asterisk-compatible 8-port cards from The Usual Places online, with various combinations of FXS (phone) and FXO (exchange line) modules; if you configure it with six FXS ports and two FXO ports, then it will run half a dozen phones and two exchange lines. Digium cards (and the cheap clones thereof; which use the exact same drivers and firmware, and are generally fine for experimental or home use, but are to be avoided in any mission-critical business application) support pulse dialling; I do not know about other makes.
Old 17th Sep 2017, 12:46 am   #28
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by julie_m View Post
A Raspberry Pi is a great choice if you are running SIP hardware or software phones and a SIP trunk to the outside world. But if you want to run analogue telephones, and especially if you want to connect to an analogue landline, you need separate ATAs (Analogue Terminal Adaptors) and the setup can quickly become unwieldy.
Unwieldy?

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...1&d=1505603156

Well perhaps a little, but all it needs is a case, and a round tuit.

I did start out with an x86 when Trixbox was the distro-of-choice, but I really could not justify the electricity costs for having it running, albeit headless, (24*7*52)*(4 and counting), coupled with the fact that I'm a bit of a minimalist, and like to pare things down as much as possible, so I wouldn't get nearly as much pleasure from the project if it ran on a PC.

Graham.
G3ZVT
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PABX.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	149559  
Old 18th Sep 2017, 5:33 pm   #29
Pellseinydd
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by julie_m View Post

In this situation, you would be better off with a "proper" PC (i.e., a motherboard with expansion slots) and an FXS+FXO card. (I've also got a GSM card in mine, so it's also a mobile phone; but then again, I'm a show-off.) You can get Asterisk-compatible 8-port cards from The Usual Places online, with various combinations of FXS (phone) and FXO (exchange line) modules; if you configure it with six FXS ports and two FXO ports, then it will run half a dozen phones and two exchange lines. Digium cards (and the cheap clones thereof; which use the exact same drivers and firmware, and are generally fine for experimental or home use, but are to be avoided in any mission-critical business application) support pulse dialling; I do not know about other makes.
The RPi can be no problem. I've had one running for several years now an it has about 240 lines running off it terminating mainly on ATAs but some go onto other Asterisks - the lines end up in 15 countries as far away as Australia & New Zealand. Handles about a phenominal number of calls per day - there is a call to my Speaking Clock roughly every six minutes. Some from the PSTN ( on 01352 83 8081 or the 'more interesting' one on -1330 55 8081 - note they are geographic numbers some will be in your free calls packages if you have one - unlike some which are on costly 0870 numbers).

If you want to connect pulse dialling telephones - use the Grandstream Handy Tone/HT 502 ATA which accepts pulse dialling (you may have to slightly narrow gap in the pulsing contacts as they are built for US dials which have 60/40 break/make rather than the UK 66.6/33.3 ratio. But you don't need to build an Asterisk to run an ATA - just get a free line from CNet (replica of the old GPO Public network - no rental and no call charges!) and a free PSTN number from the likes of SIPgate All good fun !

By the way, beware of some of the PCI cards with FXS/FXO from the Far East. Not all work with pulse dialling. The smaller Digium ones do as do the Openvox ones. I know some-one who bought (through relatives in America), a card full of 24 FXOs for over £1000 but they forgot to ask if it worked with 'pulse'! It didn't when tried. The manufacturers didn't know what 'pulse dialling' was and basically 'cos it worked with DTMF he couldn't get a refund. Beware and check the card's spec before buying.

Ian J
CNet 0352 2979
MR ETD )53-6278
Old 18th Sep 2017, 9:32 pm   #30
JHGibson
Retired Dormant Member

I saw an interesting article on using two old dial phones as an intercom, together with sonalerts as signaling devices at

makezine.com/2006/02/28/how-to-use-old-telephones/

The intercoms are connected with a pair of wires.
John.
Old 19th Sep 2017, 12:28 pm   #31
dagskarlsen
Heptode

This is another way to do it: http://www.instructables.com/id/Hack...hone-Intercom/
Old 30th Nov 2017, 11:05 pm   #32
philthespark
Pentode

Apologies for dragging up an old thread here, I worked at BT for a spell on overhead lines, I remember many years ago trying to get a couple of old phones ringing, and I struggled too, However, I had a friend and his father worked in an exchange, he loved his job and would chat about it for hours, anyway basically the gist of it was this.
A telephone ran typically at 48Vdc, however, the ring signal was around 90v, and was a modified form of AC, I can't remember the term he used, this was proved to me one day at home. I was altering the wiring on our line, it was before the plug and socket system, I was just connecting a pair and I got a fairly hefty shock, the phone I was connecting then began to ring, oh yes I never forgot that one.
In a way it reminded me of a recent argument with a bloke who said that there was no need to connect terminal 3 (ring terminal) when installing phone extensions these days. In fact, he insisted, it could actually affect the broadband, one problem with this is for anyone wishing to use older equipment, a lot of older answering machines actually needed the third wire, otherwise they didn't "know" when a call was coming in. When I pointed this out to him his attitude was "well who uses the old gear anyway"
Some people have no appreciation of the older stuff, at least with the older wired phones you could still make a call in a power cut. Thankfully there are still a few of us who appreciate the older technology.
Old 30th Nov 2017, 11:21 pm   #33
Pellseinydd
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by philthespark View Post
Apologies for dragging up an old thread here, <snip> When I pointed this out to him his attitude was "well who uses the old gear anyway"
Some people have no appreciation of the older stuff, at least with the older wired phones you could still make a call in a power cut. Thankfully there are still a few of us who appreciate the older technology.
My oldest Strowger system dates from 1929 and served a village in Northumberland until 1950. Still works OK. I hope eventual to get a couple of selectors from the auto exchange at Epsom installed in 1912 going. Just managed to track some banks that I hope will work with them? My oldest systems are small magneto exchanges - a 5 line single cord one and a 20 and 40 line wall mounted double cord ones - all from the 1890s ex-National Telephone Company which was nationalised on 1s Jan 1912 to become part of the GPO.
And we still use some of our old phones on our replica of the old GPO network as it was in the early days of STD. Great to hear the old GPO Speaking Clock on 8081 or 'Dial a Disc' by dialling 16 (pre the iPlayer !!)
Happy days.

Ian
CNet 0352 2345
Closed Thread