UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 6th Sep 2017, 3:59 pm   #21
Boater Sam
Banned

Location: Middlewich, Cheshire, UK. & Winter in the Philippines.
Default Re: Regentone A155.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ancient Geek View Post
The correct tap on the mains transformer is connected, and our mains voltage is around 236. All voltages were measured with a DVM, but since they were all at low impedance points I wouldn't expect much of a difference with an Avo.
Ah. but which tapping is that? If you have it on the 210 to 230 volt tap, stick it on the 250v.
I have found that the makers often assumed that users supplies were lower than they thought and designed accordingly.
These days supplies are usually higher than they used to be, my workshop is regularly @ 258v at non peak hours. I put everything on the highest tapping.
Old 6th Sep 2017, 4:26 pm   #22
Ancient Geek
Retired Dormant Member

Always worth checking, Sam. It's on the 230-250V tap so, yes, the correct tap. I can also verify that the mains transformer taps are wired to the tap changer socket correctly. Moreover, the primary windings appear to be connected to the correct tags on the transformer. The transformer does not seem to get unduly hot in operation. The current consumption is rather higher than spec at 270 mA vs. 220mA
Old 10th Sep 2017, 4:15 pm   #23
Ancient Geek
Retired Dormant Member

Well, I've wired a 100R 10W resistor in series with the primary, and now everything is within tolerances. Moreover, performance seems to be improved. I'm waiting for some bit to arrive prior to alignment, so I'll make a start on the cabinet.
Old 16th Sep 2017, 2:32 pm   #24
Ancient Geek
Retired Dormant Member

One step forward, two steps back.

Forward: Qty 2 6E1P delivered promptly from Moscow at a reasonable price. In good working order. Despite being 1mm greater diameter than the EM80, when inserted into the holder, the assembly slides in to the dial plate with the aid of some non-oil-based lubricant.

Backward: The 6E1P is also significantly taller than the EM80. The shoulder fouls the dial plate, and so do the connectors on the valve socket.

Grrrr!

Do you reckon someone would do a swap: 2 NOS 6E1P for a good NOS EM80?
Closed Thread