UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Other Discussions > Homebrew Equipment

Notices

Homebrew Equipment A place to show, design and discuss the weird and wonderful electronic creations from the hands of individual members.

Closed Thread

Old 4th Sep 2017, 11:17 am   #1
MrVa1ve
Tetrode

Default First Micro-power Transceiver Legality?

Hi,

I'm not sure if this question is on-topic for this site, so feel free to re-direct or close if it's not appropriate.

Basically, I thought it would be a fun and educational project for both myself and the kids to build a simple two way wireless transceiver that they could use around the house. I would be careful to restrict the power such that it wouldn't transmit any great distance and I would avoid any commercial radio bands in the event the signal did manage to travel outside the house (unlikely).

Since, I plan on building this using discrete components and I'd like to use FM (simply for educational reasons), something in the VHF range would be preferable.

So, here are my questions:
What is the legal position with regard to this?

What frequency band would be most appropriate? I should point out that I really don't expect the transmission to travel far (if at all!). The new 60 meter (5MHz) band looks quite within my reach technically and looks like it wouldn't affect the neighbours should it stray a little further than intended.

Many thanks!
Old 4th Sep 2017, 11:32 am   #2
MrBungle
Dekatron

Default Re: First Micro-power Transceiver Legality

Ignoring the legality which is probably a big problem without a license, and ignoring FM, I always liked the idea of building a couple of "fredbox" transceivers: https://sites.google.com/site/g3xbmqrp3/vuhf/fredbox
Old 4th Sep 2017, 11:44 am   #3
paulsherwin

Default Re: First Micro-power Transceiver Legality

This would certainly be illegal in the UK, and I would assume the Republic too as it is an EU matter. It is effectively impossible for private individuals to build them and have them certified.

Of course, the chances of legal repercussions are low if you are discreet and socially responsible.
Closed Thread