UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 9th Mar 2021, 8:59 pm   #21
bluepilot
Heptode

Default Re: Free-standing telephone keypad

I have a Profoon PCI-35B. It plugs in between the wall socket and the phone. It has no keyboard but can store numbers and will dial pre-stored numbers for you. Main problem is that people need to call you first so that their number gets stored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMurdo View Post
These were, apparently used to dial-out on privately owned payphones connected to a standard phone line to circumvent the coin slot.
I think the official idea was that in the days before phones had memories you could use them to store your phone numbers. You held them to the mouthpiece and they would bleep out the chosen number for you. So not quite as in the original query but you could pick up the phone and then dial a number with it.

There were indeed some badly-designed boxes to convert standard phone lines to payphones. They relied on cutting off the microphone when you pressed a button to dial a number and reconnecting it when you put money in. Unfortunately that didn't work if you used a bleep box.

The golden age is always yesterday - Asa Briggs
Old 10th Mar 2021, 9:56 am   #22
dagskarlsen
Heptode

This one is available, and the 2 wires ending in the plug may be connected to the voice circuit. https://armysurpluswarehouse.com/mil...2-field-phone/

A different layout but the buttons you do not recognize is * # A B C D
Old 10th Mar 2021, 11:41 am   #23
Dave Moll
Dekatron

The following could be a problem:
Quote:
We are not accepting international orders outside North America at this time.
Even if they were, it may be quite pricey to do so.
Old 10th Mar 2021, 5:00 pm   #24
Telephone Guy
Tetrode

Well, thanks, all: I eventually found one on Amazon for just under £16 and I've ordered that ( delivery in about a month! ).

By the by, I already have four 782's ( or 8782's, or8782R's ); the keypad on one of those is past it's best now, and since 782's ( or 8782's, or8782R's ) don't seem to be that easy to come by on eBay any more, I'm opting to use one of my old 746's with the keypad. If I could have replaced the 782 with another, newer 782, for sensible money ( if I remember correctly, I paid around £20 - £25 each for the others that I'm currently using ), that's certainly what I would have done. The one Sparks suggested, as it so happens, is the same ( to the best of my memory ) as the one I used to use; on my one, the 'seize' button would no longer 'stick' unless you held it down whilst dialling the number and released it when you'd finished. Admittedly I haven't attempted to open it up, but that didn't seem like something that would be easily fixable, hence needing another one. They do apparently still sell that type, but they're a lot dearer than the one I ordered.

Thanks again for all the creative suggestions, however.
Closed Thread