UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 13th Nov 2020, 6:38 pm   #1
greenstar
Octode

Default Hambleton Post and Telegraph Office

I thought I would post this as may be of interest as a rare survivor. I wonder how many former PO's have a PO and Telegraph sign remaining. Certainly I know of no interiors surviving - would love to see what such an office was like inside.
Hambleton is on the peninsula in Rutland Water near Oakham. The date says 1898. This of course now is a private house. It is odd that such a tiny village should have such a large PO. It's not far from Burley Hall so may have been to do with the estate.
If I was lucky enough to live in such a place I would have a morse key shaped door knocker. Please, if you go there, respect the fact that this is somebody's home - I have had no contact with the owner so am taking a bit of a liberty posting these 'photos.
Tony
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HPTO1.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	98.5 KB
ID:	220290   Click image for larger version

Name:	HPTO2.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	220291   Click image for larger version

Name:	HPTO3.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	220292   Click image for larger version

Name:	HPT04.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	220293  
Old 13th Nov 2020, 6:42 pm   #2
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Default Re: Hambleton Post and Telegraph Office

That’s really lovely!
Old 13th Nov 2020, 7:21 pm   #3
Pellseinydd
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenstar View Post
I thought I would post this as may be of interest as a rare survivor. I wonder how many former PO's have a PO and Telegraph sign remaining. Certainly I know of no interiors surviving - would love to see what such an office was like inside.
Hambleton is on the peninsula in Rutland Water near Oakham. The date says 1898. This of course now is a private house. It is odd that such a tiny village should have such a large PO. It's not far from Burley Hall so may have been to do with the estate.
If I was lucky enough to live in such a place I would have a morse key shaped door knocker. Please, if you go there, respect the fact that this is somebody's home - I have had no contact with the owner so am taking a bit of a liberty posting these 'photos.
Tony
Not an original GPO sign.

But original GPO ones can still be seen if you keep your eyes open !
Old 13th Nov 2020, 7:50 pm   #4
greenstar
Octode

Nice to see another sign, thanks for the link. I believe the signs on the Hambleton office are original, as they are clearly art nouveau and contemporary with the building. Possibly paid for by the estate rather than the GPO. I cannot imagine anyone having a craftsman made signs at huge expense only to pretend this has been a telegraph office, so they must be original, or moving signs form anywhere else It suggests to me that this was a purpose built office in an architect designed building. It appears there was a possibly small room at the front, under the clock (not currently working) with access from the side door. So it must have been done with the approval of the GPO.
Closed Thread