UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 25th Jun 2022, 12:14 pm   #21
snowman_al
Octode

Default Re: Wall wart eliminator

Quote:
Originally Posted by majex45 View Post
Hi Alan,
Thank you for your suggestion.
What I was planning is to use something like 5 (or 6) way connectors.
I would use (say) pin 1 as common (earth, 0V) then pin 2 is 5V , pin 3 is 12 V, pin 4 is 15V DC, pin 5 is 12V AC, pin 6 is for future use).
That way it will not matter which plug/socket is used as only the right power reaches the other connector (which is always 2 way, round or USB).
Make sense?
Yes I understand now.
That works as long as no two equipment connectors share the same type of plug/socket. If there is any chance you could plug the 12 volt connector into the 5 volt equipment, for instance, then no.
Old 25th Jun 2022, 2:04 pm   #22
Refugee
Dekatron

The 12 volt AC output may cause some tears as half a bridge rectifier will end up across the supply.
Old 25th Jun 2022, 4:34 pm   #23
wireman
Heptode

One of my recorders uses a small locking Hirose connector for power, have not come across these anywhere else though.
Old 25th Jun 2022, 4:55 pm   #24
wireman
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beobloke View Post

The use of any signal connector for power use is very poor practice. All to easy to connect a signal plug into a power socket with noisy and/or sparky consequences!
Litepanels use 3-pin XLR for power connection to LED panels but I think the other end is either hard wired or a different connector.
Old 25th Jun 2022, 5:15 pm   #25
G6ONEDave
Octode

Another suggestion is to use coloured sleeving on the cables perhaps using a coloured marker on each piece of kit to help identification.

Dave
Old 25th Jun 2022, 6:13 pm   #26
dglcomp
Heptode

Another connector option that is relativly small but can hande decent currents is the speakON connector, designed for connecting speakers to amps but I know Blue microphones has used it for low voltage power before. 2, and 4 way connectors that fit in to D type mounts and 8 way connector that fit into G type mounts available , with an 8 way connector you could even wire it so all sockets have all voltages so long as no more than 1 AC and 5 DC or 2 AC and 3 DC Etc. voltages are required.

There are also 7 pin XLR's, these 8 pin locking DIN's https://www.thomann.de/gb/ultralite_din8rst.htm, or I suppose ypu could use Phoenix strip connectors (i.e. https://www.thomann.de/gb/phoenix_co..._3_stz_508.htm )
Closed Thread