UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 9th Aug 2019, 5:20 pm   #41
toshiba tony
Heptode

Default Re: First Television to use ICs

Was the SL901 exclusive to the single chip A823, don't recall seeing it elsewhere.
Old 10th Aug 2019, 12:40 am   #42
Ferguson 2000
Tetrode

The first IC that I changed was in a EKCO / Pye B/W set for a local dealer and before solder suckers and solder wick! I think that it was for sound demodulation.

The early RBM A823 used a SL901 with 20 pins and a heatsink, later sets used the SL901B which had 24 pins and no heatsink. All the sets that I saw with the SL901B also used the SL917A for chroma etc.

RBM produced a meter to set up the level of burst / chroma with 3 leads, I still have one somewhere but it has been a long time since I last used it.

Geoffrey.
Old 10th Aug 2019, 5:12 am   #43
dazzlevision
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by toshiba tony View Post
Was the SL901 exclusive to the single chip A823, don't recall seeing it elsewhere.
This was also used in the RBM 22” dual standard colour TV chassis: Murphy CV2210D and Bush CTV174D.
Old 15th Aug 2019, 2:20 pm   #44
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

Yes - the CTV174D proudly proclaimed "IC Colour Lock" on the front panel!
The SL901 originally used was mounted on the 'wrong' side of the decoder panel and had the heatsink horns coming out of it. Pre solder wick, most panels were badly damaged when someone had used a 50W Weller to remove it.
The power supply, IF and timebases were pure CTV25/162 Mk3, but the decoder and output (now RGB and transistorised) panels were completely redesigned. I wondered if the use of the SL901 was to road test the IC before using it in the A823?
Old 15th Aug 2019, 2:48 pm   #45
toshiba tony
Heptode

Re Glyn's comment on the SL901, was it now! I thought it was made for the 823. I was in the trade even then but I dont recall it's use in the earlier chassis.
But I remember the Australian PCL82 in the Bush TV125 (upside down)
Strange how some things stick in the mind and some don't. And that caused issues being inverted. Cathode coating falling off perhaps? Sets seemed happy having their valves horizontal though.
Old 15th Aug 2019, 5:29 pm   #46
greg_simons
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welsh Anorak View Post
Yes - the CTV174D proudly proclaimed "IC Colour Lock" on the front panel!
The SL901 originally used was mounted on the 'wrong' side of the decoder panel and had the heatsink horns coming out of it. Pre solder wick, most panels were badly damaged when someone had used a 50W Weller to remove it.
The power supply, IF and timebases were pure CTV25/162 Mk3, but the decoder and output (now RGB and transistorised) panels were completely redesigned. I wondered if the use of the SL901 was to road test the IC before using it in the A823?
Yes indeed, saw quite a few mega botch repairs on these panels although the 901/917 were rarely to blame, most people went straight for the chips first instead of logical diagnosis, i suspect many blameless chips went in the bin after being brutally removed from the panel, can't say i ever was a big fan of the 823, even well set up they seemed to have a slight green overall hue and the general performance wasn't great.
Greg.