UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 31st Dec 2011, 11:56 pm   #1
Tim
Dekatron

Default "Elegant 7" kit radio info wanted.

Hi all.
I got my Elegant 7 tranny down from the loft yesterday for a fiddle( duff AF117 osc transistor proved by whack with screw driver) and wondered if anyone had a circuit diagram or instructions as I wish to do some further work.

thanks
Tim
Old 1st Jan 2012, 3:01 am   #2
Herald1360
Dekatron

Default Re: "Elegant 7" kit radio info wanted.

Ooh! I built one of those in the late '60s. I think I finally got it to work properly about five years and a degree later- problems with the tracking. It was used for quite a while with an extra manual trimmer in the aerial circuit

It ended up with a built in mains supply as mum's kitchen radio for ten years or so. It might even still exist, if it didn't get damaged in the summer floods a few years back and my sister hasn't chucked it out.

I don't remember AF117s though, I'm sure mine was more the OC lineup, though I vaguely recall an AC113 somewhere. Either way, it was a bog standard circuit of the time, just about anything period with a totem pole output would be near enough.
.........O..Chris....O
Old 4th Jan 2012, 7:49 pm   #3
Keith_B
Tetrode

Hi Tim
Here is the circuit diagram, it was stuck inside my Elegant 7. Hope it helps

regards

Keith
Attached Files
File Type: pdf elegant 7.pdf (256.7 KB, 224 views)
Old 4th Jan 2012, 8:17 pm   #4
Tim
Dekatron

"Brill! Thanks.
Old 4th Jan 2012, 11:25 pm   #5
Herald1360
Dekatron

That looks very familiar! The neutralising Rs and Cs R9 C12 and R14 C15 do suggest OC series (or at least vintage) rather than AF types which didn't need them. Given the photo of one I found showing what definitely looked like an AF device, I guess there may have been several versions of the circuit. There was certainly an earlier case version which didn't have the sloping scale.
.........O..Chris....O
Old 5th Jan 2012, 12:02 am   #6
Tim
Dekatron

Quote:
There was certainly an earlier case version which didn't have the sloping scale.
Sounds like the one I have which has a vertical scale. Mine also has an in built mains power supply delivering about 10 volts, sporting two dodgy looking electrolytics and an ancient rectifier diode..
I guess with this being a kit the builder used whatever transistors were to hand. There are 3xAF117, two GEC/Ediswan T5's and two unmarked ones for the output transistors.

I have some CV7007's and OC45's so might try those.
Old 5th Jan 2012, 1:11 pm   #7
Herald1360
Dekatron

Interesting (again). Sounds like another case of "chuck whatever is available cheapest" into the kits.

ISTR the PSU I put in mine was regulated- I used the reverse emitter base breakdown of a gash transistor for the reference
.........O..Chris....O
Closed Thread