UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Offered and Wanted Messages > Sets, Parts and Service Information Offered (private sellers only, exact price required, no swaps)

Notices

Sets, Parts and Service Information Offered (private sellers only, exact price required, no swaps) You may announce components or sets for sale or offered free here. Private collectors only - no traders. You must include an exact price. No swaps.

Closed Thread

Old 31st Jul 2020, 2:02 pm   #1
Vakito227
Pentode

Default Smart looking Luxor Colour TV for repair.

Hi all, wanting to get rid of this Luxor colour TV from the 80s which worked perfectly when I put it away last year but upon testing it now develops a mosquito like noise about a second after turning it on and nothing comes on. Could potentially be an easy fix to someone who knows their way around these sets but unfortunately I just don't have the time. I know for a fact the tube is in great shape.

Free upon collection from North Leeds for the first person to reply.

Thanks
Peter
Old 31st Jul 2020, 2:03 pm   #2
Vakito227
Pentode

Default Re: Smart looking Luxor Colour TV for repair.

Photos
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200731_135741.jpg
Views:	287
Size:	99.6 KB
ID:	212278   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200731_135751.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	132.9 KB
ID:	212279  
Old 31st Jul 2020, 2:47 pm   #3
electronicskip
Octode

Nice looking TV , deserves to be saved !
Old 31st Jul 2020, 5:46 pm   #4
slidertogrid
Octode

These were marvellous sets they gave very little trouble and the Toshiba tube lasted well in these, unlike some other makes. Maybe down to how it was run ?

I can only remember replacing the occasional tripler I don't think much else went wrong... Maybe the odd dry-joint.

Made in or near Slough ISTR ? I bought loads of ex rental ones from "Lakes" who had shops in Slough, Windsor and other locations in the surrounding areas.
The sets were a few years old but always clean and in good condition not like your average ex rental! I don't think they did slot meter rentals...
I bet there won't be much wrong with it.
I Hope it find a good home!
Rich
Old 31st Jul 2020, 5:52 pm   #5
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

B2 chassis. 1984. Sold large numbers and loved by customers. They were very reliable. Built in Sweden. John.
Old 2nd Aug 2020, 11:56 am   #6
Paul Stenning
Administrator

My parents had one of these, probably about 22", on rental from a local shop, and it was completely reliable (a total contrast to their previous Toshiba and the Ferguson before that) with a great picture.

After several years the shop said they'd more than paid for it and it wouldn't be repairable anyway so just keep it (no more payments) and enjoy it until it dies. It kept going, with several hours use every evening, until it died with the same fault as this one in early 2000's (and was replaced by a horrible ex-rental Philips widescreen CRT). The tube was showing signs of age towards the end but my parents didn't notice.

Hopefully someone can save and repair this one.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Committee Member
Old 2nd Aug 2020, 3:36 pm   #7
Richard_FM
Octode

Different rental companies seemed to have different policies towards older sets on hire.

Some seemed to offer customers a chance to buy sets after so many years, normally on the understanding customers would be responsible for repairs.

Other rental companies seemed to insist on sets being returned, even when it had earned much more than the original price. I remember reading about someone whose parents returned a long obsolete set after having renting it for years, and spending a estimated 1000 in hire charges.
Old 7th Aug 2020, 11:23 pm   #8
Vakito227
Pentode

Just bumping this up. Set is still available but unfortunately I'll only be able to hang on to it for a few more days. I'd hate for this to end up thrown away!
Old Yesterday, 4:11 pm   #9
Station X

This set has been saved from the WEEE bin.

Thread closed.

Keep the soldering iron hot.
Closed Thread