UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 20th Feb 2011, 10:25 pm   #1
melitus54
Retired Dormant Member

Default Tracing a BSR Embassy 4 star tape recorder

I have a BSR Embassy **** Tape recorder and I need to know where I can find a link, manual or if you have any information as I need to change the capacitor as it is giving out a high pitched sound if I try to put the volume up.
Do you anything on this model as I believe it is an early 60s model. the colours are cream and orange.
I use it in exhibitions on the Beatles as I play the original reel to reel by the Beatles.
Can you help me please?

Thank you.

Regards
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	The Embassy Tape Recorder..jpg
Views:	648
Size:	78.6 KB
ID:	47120  
Old 21st Feb 2011, 1:25 pm   #2
Brian R Pateman
Nonode

Default Re: Tracing a BSR Embassy 4 star tape recorder

The tape deck is BSR (TD2 I think) but the rest of the machine could be by any one of a number of companies. It looks almost identical to one my father had which was marketed by a retailer called Gamages in London. There were many of these budget machines under a variety of badges, often sold mail order in the Sunday papers or the magazines of the time, Practical Wireless for example.

If I'm correct your machine will have a compartment in the back with a sliding cover intended to house the microphone and mains lead.

The circuits were all very similar and decidedly basic. They gave hours of entertainment though.
Old 21st Feb 2011, 1:47 pm   #3
BillDWVA
Pentode

Seeing this machine with its BSR tape deck reminds me of the well-used Fidelity 'Braemar' and 'Playmatic' models with a similar (if not the same transport) that crossed my path in the '70s. The 'Braemar' was a quarter track and used a very basic circuit with ECC83, EL84 line-up and EM87 (if I recall?)/. The 'Playmatic' half-track was a hybrid with germanium transistors in its pre-amp and auto gain control, and, I think an ECL8? pre/power amp output. Looking back, they were marvels of economy in their circuit design.

The 'Embassy' will not be too complicated and if you have some electrical knowledge and data sheets for the valve(s) etc. you should be able to trace its circuit fairly well and idenitify key components that may be giving problems. From my experience with these type of sets (as above) the designers use as much of the circuit both for 'record' and 'replay' functions and this requires at least one large multipole switch to change the mode. Often it is simply dirty or corroded contacts that are the cause of many problems... worth a try.

Bill
Old 21st Feb 2011, 7:48 pm   #4
AndiiT
Octode

Hi,
Your machine looks similar to Some Alba models of similar vintage, as has already been pointed out this may be a "catalogue special" so getting hold of the correct circuit diagram/service information might prove difficult.

Many of these recorders used similar circuitry to the Fidelity Argyll Minor/Playmaster or, later, Braemer (which is essentially a cosmetically enhanced Playmaster) models.

Take a look at what valves are used inside and let us know, this may then give us a clue as to suggesting a suitable, if not exactly correct, diagram to assist you with your fault finding.

Regards
Andrew
Old 21st Feb 2011, 10:33 pm   #5
Paulus.d
Hexode

I had one simlar to this but not so colourful. It had a EM86, ECC83 and ECL86 valve set.
It used to make a high pitch noise that would come on as you turned the volume up, sending the EM86 levels straight into the centre. When I became more technically minded, I opened it up to find a broken pin on the ECL86 valve. Buying a replacement valve cured the problem...

Regards Paul
Old 21st Feb 2011, 11:28 pm   #6
AndiiT
Octode

Hi,
If your machine uses the same valve line up as the one that Paulus mentions an Elizabethan Popular 200 (or 400) circuit diagram might be a starting point.
There will be a coupling capacitor of around 0.01uF between the triode anode and the Pentode Grid of the ECL86, this will almost certainly need changing, another possibility is that either the ECL86 or ECC83 valves may have gone "microphonic", this can usually be proved by tapping them gently whilst the machine is switched on (Whilst observing necessary safety precautions of course)

Andrew
Old 21st Feb 2011, 11:39 pm   #7
Steve_P
Dekatron

Actually, that machine looks very similar indeed to the Alba R16/R17. This has an ECC83, ECL86 and an EM87. The three controls like that are identical to this model too.

The circuit is available here:

http://www.service-data.com/product.php/186/561

Warning with this unit - the connection between the Record/Play switch and the circuit board is very cheap and nasty. Watch the way they connect when you reassemble it. Otherwise you lose volts on the Anode of the ECL86 and you will have smoke and need a new valve.

Cheers,

Steve P.
Old 27th Feb 2011, 6:40 pm   #8
Ian212121
Tetrode

Used one of those decks in a Sobell Festival recorder bought new. That had a bright blue "Rexine" covered case that was sleek and not boxy.
Old 27th Feb 2011, 8:20 pm   #9
Top Cap
Octode

That case looks 100% like the one that housed my old Robuk/Motek deck of many years ago.
Old 27th Feb 2011, 8:53 pm   #10
david freeman
Hexode

That tape recorder looks identical to a Sound Riviera whose circuit appears in HW Hellyer's Tape Recorder Servicing Manual published in 1965. The Sound company produced a series of tape recorders in the early 60's using either the BSR TD2 single speed tape deck or the Collaro Studio deck providing 3 speeds.
All models used ECC83, ECL86 and EM87 valve circuits.
It is likely that they produced "own brand" machines for particular retailers or mail order catalogues.
Old 10th Mar 2012, 6:47 am   #11
iLCacciLLo
Diode

Hi,

I have exactly the same unit. Everything works fine with the exception of the Rewind and Fast Forward. I move the switch and in either direction, although the motor noise changes, nothing happens and the reels don't move. Is this a common failure in this recorders?

Also, originally this recorder was supplied with a microphone. Anyone has a picture of the original mic?

Thanks

iL
Old 11th Mar 2012, 1:14 am   #12
ben
Dekatron

Very common failure, due to dried grease on the mech. Check the spools move side to side and also the rubber jockey wheel is free. Clean and relube.
The original mic probably looked like this Acos.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	acos mic playmaster fidelity etc.jpg
Views:	306
Size:	21.7 KB
ID:	63725  
Old 12th Mar 2012, 6:45 am   #13
ricard
Octode

I've had this problem on a machine with the similar (albeit 3 speed) BSR TD10 chassis. As I recall it was a lot of dismantling in order to get at the required parts. I don't know if it was this particular incarnation of the machine though. Not that there's any other way about it, but be prepared for a bit of work.
Old 12th Mar 2012, 6:50 pm   #14
Top Cap
Octode

If it is a BSR TD2 deck there is info here:-

http://www.service-data.com/product.php/468/827