UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 14th Mar 2019, 4:32 pm   #1
age9000
Diode

Default Help identify unit made by PYE

Any clever person have any info of this obscure PYE unit.

Looks like could be a switchboard or maybe intercom

cheers

Click image for larger version

Name:	pye unit.jpg
Views:	353
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	179910  
Old 15th Mar 2019, 8:27 pm   #2
g8jzyian
Pentode

Default Re: Help identify unit made by PYE

Could it be an early autodialer?
Ian
Old 15th Mar 2019, 8:35 pm   #3
AC/HL
Dekatron

Where was it used?
Old 16th Mar 2019, 1:36 pm   #4
qazxsw123
Triode

I had a couple of these units in 1972, a electronic shop was selling them off in forest gate. its an intercom/dialer unit no ic's it uses transistors wired as flip flops as counters. you can dial out via the keys 0-9 one digit at a time or use the key switch which then used a pre programmed number. the patch panel number was stored by wires that were screwed to a patch panel. the case was a thick slab of real wood. I think it was intended for use in an office working to a pabx rather than to a exchange line.
Old 17th Mar 2019, 9:32 pm   #5
age9000
Diode

Hi Gang.

Thanks for all the replies and advice. For some reason I'm not getting an automatic email to say there is a reply, even though I did tick the instant notification setting.

Was asking for a friend who remembers one in a office where he worked in the late 60's. That's the best photo I could find of the unit which he said is the unit he recalled being there, but he never knew what it was.... until now

If anyone ever comes across one for sale please let me knowas I would get it for a surprise for him, doesn't have to be functional

Anymore info gratefully recieved

Old 30th Mar 2019, 5:09 pm   #6
Pellseinydd
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by qazxsw123 View Post
I had a couple of these units in 1972, a electronic shop was selling them off in forest gate. its an intercom/dialler unit no ic's it uses transistors wired as flip flops as counters. you can dial out via the keys 0-9 one digit at a time or use the key switch which then used a pre programmed number. the patch panel number was stored by wires that were screwed to a patch panel. the case was a thick slab of real wood. I think it was intended for use in an office working to a pabx rather than to a exchange line.
It was a loudspeaking telephone (made by TMC? -owned by Pye from early 1960's - in the late 1960's/early 1970's) The photograph doesn't show the handset which clipped into a 'hole' in the left hand side of the wooden case. It was not approved for use on the GPO/PO public network or PABX and hence was limited to use on PAX systems (which had no PSTN connection). I worked for Plessey Communication Systems Ltd (who were then the PAX sales, rental and maintenance side of Plessey Telecoms and started life as Communication Systems Ltd a subsidiary of Automatic Telephone & Electric Ltd) in the late 1970's/1980's and had a number on various PAX systems I looked after. They were badged 'Plessey'. There was one up in the loft a few years ago but probably well buried under lots of bits acquired as Strowger came to an end on BT.

Ian

CNet 0352 2345
MR ETD 053-6278
GW4BTW
Old 30th Mar 2019, 6:20 pm   #7
age9000
Diode

Thanks for all the info Ian

Am trying to find out about this item and maybe get hold of one
as the chap who remembers it is suffering from alzheimers and he cant remember recent stuff but has stong memories of 60's & 70s and some of the 80's so wanted to locate stuff he could still remember to see if it kept him going.

He actually thinks I used to work with him although I did not as I would only have been about 10 at the time, but no point correcting him as he just forgets that soon after, so am happy to go along with it as it brings a smile to his face.

thanks again to everyone who has commented
Closed Thread