UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 12th Mar 2019, 7:18 am   #1
Restoration73
Nonode

Default G C Dobbs SK

I see George Dobbs G3RJV has passed;

http://www.southgatearc.org/news/201...m#.XIbXr8n7S1s

Apart from the G-QRP Club, he also designed the Ladybird Transistor Radio.
Old 12th Mar 2019, 8:40 am   #2
wireless_john
Heptode

Default Re: G C Dobbs SK

How sad to hear that. I once met him at one of the GQRP Club conventions at his church in Rochdale.

He was one of the good guys.

John
Old 12th Mar 2019, 9:45 am   #3
John M0GLN
Octode

Sad news, I never knew him but whenever I bought a Practical Wireless his articles were ones I always found very interesting. I had noticed his absence a while ago.

John
Old 12th Mar 2019, 10:41 am   #4
Radio Wrangler

I've known George for a long time. A very kind and generous man. The affection his parishioners had for him was remarkable. The church likes to rotate vicars every so often, but the people of Sudden campaigned to keep him!

I remember one year at the amateur radio doo at the NEC, David Evans of the RSGB came around and complimented George on the success of the G-QRP club. Without a pause, George asked him if the RSGB was applying for affiliation!

He'll be missed around the world.

He was one of those people who really did change the world a little, and definitely for the better.

David
Old 12th Mar 2019, 10:59 am   #5
MrBungle
Dekatron

Very sad news. My thoughts go out to his family and friends. He will be missed.

I am a GQRP member and the first amateur radio receiver I built myself was the EMRFD version of the G3RJV sudden. I documented the build here: https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=139481 ... without him (and his book QRP basics) I definitely wouldn't be into all of this. It was more than profound tuning the first CW signal with this.

One of the things that always comes to mind when a prolific author and engineer passes is that their contributions will always be recognised and referred to. Even though we are fragile, our ideas are immortal really.
Old 12th Mar 2019, 11:08 am   #6
Dave757
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Wrangler View Post
I remember one year at the amateur radio doo at the NEC, David Evans of the RSGB came around and complimented George on the success of the G-QRP club. Without a pause, George asked him if the RSGB was applying for affiliation!

David
Hi,

George's previous parish before Sudden was at Chelmsley Wood,
just down the road from the NEC. One of his projects was called the
Chelmsley. I lived locally, but sadly never met him.

RIP G3RJV

Dave
Old 13th Mar 2019, 11:03 am   #7
Stylo N M
Heptode

Hi,

Very sad news, I always enjoy his books when I see them. The Ladybird book making a transistor radio was always my favourite.

RIP

Paul
Old 13th Mar 2019, 12:43 pm   #8
Terry_VK5TM
Nonode

For those that may wish to pay their respects, the funeral details are:

It will be at 1.30pm on 27 March and at his old church - St Aidans - in Sudden, Rochdale OL11 3EL

No flowers by request please, but if anyone wants to make a donation - in George's name to the Alzheimer's Society please.
Closed Thread