UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 4th Aug 2018, 12:09 pm   #41
Kentode
Octode

Default Re: The twin towers of Emley Moor

Quote:
He knew that, of course, because that was the direction the previous mast came down in 1969.
A local counselor and the Church Warden had lucky escapes, but I don't think the organ ever played again.
Not even in E-flat?

BVWS member
Old 4th Aug 2018, 12:51 pm   #42
Radio Wrangler

Perhaps something in a miner key? (It's very close to the shuttle eye colliery and the national coal mining museum)

After the fall there have been all sorts of rumours about Emley!

1) During the rebuild and all the earthworks involved, several captured nazi submarines were buried there to make a secret facility for the governments nefarious purposes.

2) There is a secret tunnel from Emley to Holme Moss. Presumably also supposed to be for the government's nefarious purposes, but it could really have been for secret collaboration between the beeb and the IBA..... for their nefarious purposes, of course. In view of the peat bog between the two, this tunnel could be a little gloppy.

The thing I love about conspiracy theories is how the conspiracy theorists simultaneously believe that organisation xxxxx is up to no end of dirty trickery, and also believe that organisation xxxx couldn't organise a booze-up in a brewery.

David

(Nobody saw any submarines being moved, so it must have been done very very sneakily, so the SAS or hired ninjas....)
Old 4th Aug 2018, 4:09 pm   #43
Kentode
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Wrangler View Post
Perhaps something in a miner key?
Ouch!

BVWS member
Old 4th Aug 2018, 5:27 pm   #44
Radio Wrangler

Oh well, here goes:

"On Emley Moor bar t'mast" in the key of Ab miner

Such a joke can only be made because of the immense good fortune that no-one was hurt. And it was only through luck.

I can look out of my window here and see the wide-based lattice tower that was removed when the ill-fated one went into service at Emley. Is it following me around, or I, it?

David
Old 5th Aug 2018, 1:23 am   #45
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

I thought it was going to be "On Emily Moor A Flat" David. Perhaps the Lattice Tower that's following you around is the one that confused me in post 35* ?

Dave
Old 5th Aug 2018, 8:31 am   #46
Radio Wrangler

The tower now at Craigkelly, North of Edinburgh is a wide-based lattice and looks more Eiffel Tower shaped than a straight up mast. No guys.

The one which fell was a guyed tubular mast. A bit of the tube went to Huddersfield sailing club. It was first reckoned that the guys brought it down, but guyed lattice masts survived nearby in much more exposed locations at Holme Moss and Pole Moor. Later theories consider wind flow around the tubular shape.

When it was built, it was said that the shape of the concrete tower was a hyperbolic paraboloid. Around the same time the new market hall had been built in Huddersfield, also featuring hyperbolic paraboloids. Folk in the area were overdosed on the things, and they were a good bet for any long word in the Examiner crossword puzzle.

Traders in the market became heartily sick of the new building and its wildly varying temperature extremes. Do not use the H word near them or you could get strung up from a hyperbolic paraboloid. A worse fate still is reserved for whoever it was got the new market hall listed!. The locals love the tower at Emley. Clearly there are hyperbolic paraboloids and there are hyperbolic paraboloids...

David

Last edited by Radio Wrangler; 5th Aug 2018 at 8:37 am.
Old 5th Aug 2018, 10:16 am   #47
Kentode
Octode

Quote:
When it was built, it was said that the shape of the concrete tower was a hyperbolic paraboloid. Around the same time the new market hall had been built in Huddersfield, also featuring hyperbolic paraboloids. Folk in the area were overdosed on the things, and they were a good bet for any long word in the Examiner crossword puzzle.
That's superb! I can hear Victoria Wood saying that in a sketch about Huddersfax.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_20180805_100451.JPG
Views:	227
Size:	39.2 KB
ID:	167037  

BVWS member
Old 19th Mar 2019, 3:33 pm   #48
AC/HL
Dekatron

The 50th anniversary of the collapse today, there's a news item on Look North tonight. The trailer mentioned unseen footage, it should be available on BBC iplayer IDC.
Old 19th Mar 2019, 7:36 pm   #49
Nymrod121
Nonode

Default Emley Moor: 50th anniversary of mast collapse

I understand BBC Look North (Freesat 966) might be covering this topic this evening - ??

Guy
Old 19th Mar 2019, 7:43 pm   #50
Martin G7MRV
Heptode

Default Re: Emley Moor: 50th anniversary of mast collapse

Also the 43rd anniversary of the birth of a certain DTV Network Operator at the Emley Broadcast Operations Centre ;-)

My Blog - http://g7mrv.blogspot.com
Old 19th Mar 2019, 8:05 pm   #51
Nymrod121
Nonode

Some excellent archive film footage ... Mikey P, take a bow

So then, Martin ... 43 extra lights on the temporary mast, eh?
Old 19th Mar 2019, 8:19 pm   #52
Martin G7MRV
Heptode

3 days leave! So I dont have to be there and can avoid having to buy cake for everyone!

Old 19th Mar 2019, 8:30 pm   #53
Herald1360
Dekatron

Wot, no relative on hand to knock up a couple of Delia's ultimate carrot cakes?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/you...rrot-cake.html

Went down a storm in the office with requests for the recipe from several colleagues!

Probably cheaper for the ingredients than hitting the supermarket on the way in, too.

Happy Birthday

.........O..Chris....O
Old 19th Mar 2019, 9:19 pm   #54
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

Trust me to be in the south re local TV coverage in Manchester. I've just been in Rammy for a few weeks and they were clearly still reeling from the sudden death of their popular and feisty weather presenter [Diane Oxberry] in January.

There will be E M footage on I-Player or You Tube I imagine.

Dave W

Last edited by Station X; 19th Mar 2019 at 9:56 pm. Reason: Threads merged
Old 20th Mar 2019, 10:16 am   #55
Martin G7MRV
Heptode

I can state that all the conspiracies you've heard about the Emley site (and a few you havent!) are all absolutely true! I know, because I was there!!!

Although the works for the temporary mast have obscured things somewhat, the two wooden fenced enclosures along side the main access road, which housed the underground drainage pumps for the 'long tunnel' to Holme Moss, and the original periscope mast, now with a cross-arm and supporting several GPS antennas, can all still be seen.

The ghost of the Polish rigger killed during construction, his death hushed up and his body interred in the foundation, can be seen prowling the turret room late at night occasionally, an odd aspect of this paranormal activity is the poltergeist like affect on equipment, strangely the apparition usually coincides with a failure of the DAB transmitters housed at the top of the tower.

Recently as well many people have been perplexed by the intense blue light shining from the turret room. This has led to lots of theories, but most compelling is the fact that it shines out directly toward RAF Menwith Hill, and is possibly some form of secret communications link. Already many of the microwave dished are aligned on Menwith, although one of the larger is said to form an emergency backup diplomatic channel with the counterpart dish mounted on the CN Tower. [I do know what it really is!]

Not a conspiracy, but something that drives staff nuts, is the fact that the locals really do love 'the mast', even though until we built the temporary one, there hasnt been a mast since we built the tower! They just will not accept that the structure is a tower and not a mast! Every business close by uses 'the mast' as its logo! (I recommend a breakfast bap from the Thorncliffe Farm Shop Tasting Room if your ever close by!)

Old 20th Mar 2019, 4:06 pm   #56
Radio Wrangler

We Huddersfielders also drive the BBC nuts.... there's no favouritism!

They built a radio transmitting station on Pole Moor and named it "Moorside Edge" We have nothing of that. It was Pole Moor a long time before their steelwork. Beeb people coming to the place could arrive at John Betjeman's 'Palace for trains' and ask a taxi driver for 'Moorside Edge' to be met by an odd stare and "Never heard of the place" After a bit of description " Ah, tha means Pole Moor, lad." and the journey could complete.

David
Old 20th Mar 2019, 4:24 pm   #57
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Moorside Edge was in the 1930's.I have a meter from the station that the BVWS raffled off a few years ago.
Old 21st Mar 2019, 5:50 am   #58
Synchrodyne
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Wrangler View Post
Do not use the H word near them or you could get strung up from a hyperbolic paraboloid. A worse fate still is reserved for whoever it was got the new market hall listed!. The locals love the tower at Emley. Clearly there are hyperbolic paraboloids and there are hyperbolic paraboloids...
But would not the Emley Moor tower be closer to being a single-sheet hyperboloid of revolution, sometimes known as a hyperbolic hyperboloid – that is the kind of shape one gets when rotating one end plate relative to the other of a string-sided cylinder? If so then the locals’ liking of Emley and disliking of the market hall roof is well-founded in a mathematical sense. As I recall, hyperbolic paraboloid roofs on large-floor-area buildings were “all the rage” back in the late 1950s and early 1960s.

Cheers,
Old 22nd Mar 2019, 10:47 am   #59
Peter.N.
Dekatron

I know you can see Emley Moor from Holme Moss but that must be a heck of a long tunnel!

Peter
Old 22nd Mar 2019, 3:00 pm   #60
AC/HL
Dekatron

http://tx.mb21.co.uk/features/blue-aspidistra/
Closed Thread