UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 25th Feb 2012, 10:54 pm   #1
mrmagnetophon
Retired Dormant Member

Default Replacing audio pot on teac 6010

I am replacing the volume pot for line in on a teac 6010 reel to reel.
Now the pot i am using is 50k the original was 100k, so i need a resistor.
Where i put the resistor,

One between output of the pot and and the output wire, and one between the input wire and input terminal on the pot?

-Chris
Old 26th Feb 2012, 12:16 am   #2
Michael Maurice

Default Re: Replacing audio pot on teac 6010

Why cant you fit a 100K?

The short answer is you cant, if you fit the resistor between the input wire and the control , you'll lose half your signal, if you connect it between the earthy end of the pot and ground, you wont be fade to zero and if you connect it to the slider, it probably wont make any difference.

Get yourself a 100K pot.
Old 26th Feb 2012, 12:33 am   #3
mrmagnetophon
Retired Dormant Member

there are resistors already installed for the input side though?!!!
Old 28th Feb 2012, 9:55 am   #4
ricard
Octode

Some sort of schematic (even if just a hand drawn excerpt) would be helpful.

On the other hand, if the pot is connected as a volume or level control, you might not have to do a thing, save for a slightly lower level due to the increased loading of the 50k vs the original 100k pot. Depending on the impedence of the previous output stage, it may not be noticable.

If it's the line in pot, is it connected directly to the line in jacks? In that case it's the output impedence of whatever is connected to it that will cause the difference, and it's most likely a couple of kilohms or less so the difference in pot values will not make any practical difference.
Closed Thread