UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 27th May 2017, 10:08 pm   #21
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Default Re: Any ideas how to mend glass tuner scale?

Yes, that's incredible, Mike.
Old 27th May 2017, 10:31 pm   #22
FrankB
Heptode

I am finding this an interesting thread. Could one take 2 very thin pieces of glass and decal the back of the one piece to use as the front, then sandwich the 2 together, with the decal/lettering in between?

They sell carbide glass drilling blades here locally in a selection of a variety of sizes in one package at Harbor Freight Tools I saw them yesterday.

I think I remember reading in a very old copy of QST (1930's?) Hints & Kinks you could drill glass with a metal rod and very fine grit using kerosene of camphor as a lubricant. The rod needed to be the same size as the hole you need, and very light pressure and a lot of lube was used. IIRC, the pix was of it being done with a drill press. A lengthy process I suspect, with a lot of finesse needed.
Old 28th May 2017, 9:01 am   #23
mark_in_manc
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankB View Post
...you could drill glass with a metal rod and very fine grit using kerosene of camphor as a lubricant...
I have one or two old physics books like that - I was interested in setting up a demo for students but felt it unlikely I was going to have much luck finding lycopodium powder or an india-rubber bag!

(Having just googled the former, I see one can now buy it on the usual auction site. That shouldn't surprise me, I guess, but it does!)
Old 28th May 2017, 11:57 pm   #24
emeritus
Dekatron

Ordinary Tungsten Carbide masonry drills work well. I saw their use demonstrated at a do-it-yourself exhibition in the 1950's, where the demonstrator drilled a hole in a bottle by making a ring of putty around the hole's location, filled it with oil, and then used a hand drill, applying heavy pressure and slow speed with the bit immersed in the oil. I have since used the method myself on numerous occasions.

The type of masonry drill used has a tip with a negative rake on its leading edge, and works by crushing the material under the edge of the drill that is in contact with it. This is in contrast to a normal twist drill for metal or wood, where material is removed by the sharp leading edge biting into the surface of the work, getting beneath it, and levering it up.
Closed Thread