UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 16th Nov 2022, 3:46 pm   #1
Geoff 555
Heptode

Default Ekco pb510

Hello this was working well the last time I tried it. Turned it on and it was on Medium wave, great, but none of the buttons do anything, no motor, wave change nothing.
Help please. It is damp a bit where I live so most of the radio's I have will be moved on but this is one I would like to keep.
Thank you.
All the best.
Geoff.
Old 16th Nov 2022, 8:53 pm   #2
cathoderay57
Nonode

Default Re: Ekco pb510

Hi Geoff, does the radio continue working on MW despite which buttons you press? If so, it sounds like part of the push-button linkage has stuck or come adrift. Maybe a mechanical rather than an electrical problem..... Jerry
Old 17th Nov 2022, 12:30 pm   #3
Geoff 555
Heptode

Hello Jerry thank you, yes it seems that it is stuck on MW and does not change no matter which button is pressed, I did remove the button bank and none of them are sticking.
Manually tuning then I can get a few stations ( reception bad here ).
Turning the fibre gear wave change disc manually I can change wave bands. No motor action. The solenoid that pulls in a fork that engauges a gear which drives the fibre wave change gear does not work.
Thank you again.
Cheers.
Geoff.
The motor is fine, as is the mains transformer, thanks to Mike Barker.
Old 17th Nov 2022, 12:44 pm   #4
stevehertz
Dekatron

If - as you say - the radio has been stored in damp conditions, then the contacts of the switches are likely to have corroded/blackened rendering them inoperative. So that would be my first port of call; clean the switch contacts with switch cleaner. Maybe (with the set switched off) operating them rapidly lots and lots of times - but don't break anything! - would help, although you really need to use switch cleaner.
Old 17th Nov 2022, 3:52 pm   #5
cathoderay57
Nonode

I agree with Steve; also check if you are getting power to the solenoid coil and that the solder joints are all OK. If you are getting power to the solenoid coil when you attempt to activate it, then the solenoid coil might be open circuit. Jerry
Old 17th Nov 2022, 6:22 pm   #6
stevehertz
Dekatron

The thing is with pushbuttons is that there is no or very little sweeping or wiping action to the make/break switch action. As a result, natural 'cleaning' of the contact surface is limited to two contacts just 'kissing' each other, as opposed to the wiping action of 'click' switches where there would be a certain amount of self cleansing. So yes, clean those contacts first.
Old 28th Nov 2022, 2:27 pm   #7
Geoff 555
Heptode

Hello all, thank you so much for all your help. Sorry for the delay in replying but it was a bit of a trip, one thing leading to another.
Cleaned all the button switches then cleaned them again, took a little time to find one of the knobs as it pinged off and disapeared. Ended up stripping the 'brain' and cleaning all the contacts, there are three copper coloured balls which were dirty, contact cleaner did nothing but scotchbright was the stuff to use, checked the solenoid windings that were good thank goodness.
The major problem turned out to be the dog clutch, which engauges with the wave change gear, it was worn so that it bounced in and out of engaugement.
All back together and working. Great pity that there are so few stations now.
All the best.
Cheers.
Geoff.
Closed Thread