UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 2nd Jul 2022, 10:39 pm   #1
kirstyd
Heptode

Default Hacker sovereign replacement aerial

Hi All
Sitting in the garden this afternoon enjoying the sun and listening to pick of the pops on rad 2 when my cat Cynthia suddenly decided to attack the radio ariel . before i could stop her she had snapped the top section off . Can i get a straight forward replacement or do i just buy something similar and adapt it to fit .There seems to be plenty to go at but none with the Knuckle that slides out of the top when the last section is exposed. Just thought i would ask before buying anything

Last edited by Radio Wrangler; 2nd Jul 2022 at 11:28 pm. Reason: Neither a motorbike nor a Shakespearian character
Old 2nd Jul 2022, 11:06 pm   #2
stevehertz
Dekatron

Default Re: Hacker sovereign replacement ariel

Having been in the same position myself and looked at dozens and dozens of aerials on the auction site, none of them were exact replacements. It's a question of buying the nearest one to the size you need I'm afraid.
Old 2nd Jul 2022, 11:27 pm   #3
Radio Wrangler

Default Re: Hacker sovereign replacement ariel

On the assumption that you don't need a Shakespearian character for your radio, I'll go edit the title...

David
Old 2nd Jul 2022, 11:31 pm   #4
Cruisin Marine
Heptode

Default Re: Hacker sovereign replacement aerial

I think there may be some posts on how to repair telescopic's here on this forum, worth a search
Old 3rd Jul 2022, 8:29 am   #5
agardiner
Octode

If only the top section has been broken, then I would glue a small plastic PCB spacer on the top using 2 part epoxy. This is my go to solution for such damage where the rest of the aerial is OK.

Allows the continued use of the original, while preventing is from accidentally being pushed into itself. Looks pretty neat too.
Old 6th Jul 2022, 11:56 pm   #6
majoconz
Heptode

The top section of one of my Sony CRF-230 antennas was missing when I got it, the remaining two were good. With the aid of a self-tapping screw I managed to pull the next section out - it was just under 3mm diameter. I found a small aluminium sleeve which was a reasonable fit - the sleeve was 1/4" external diameter. 15 minutes with a file and the drill press turned an aluminium knob into a good enough facsimile which fitted well and tightening the grub screw fixed it in place. I had to manufacture the black plastic surround - the knobs push down flush and then another push springs them up 10mm so that you can pull them up - there is a ball joint at the bottom to rotate and tilt the antenna.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0189 closeup.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	32.5 KB
ID:	260564   Click image for larger version

Name:	VHF FM antenna filler 2 sml.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	88.6 KB
ID:	260565   Click image for larger version

Name:	Antenna Tip sml.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	35.0 KB
ID:	260566  
Old 10th Jul 2022, 11:32 pm   #7
simpsons
Octode

Hi Kirstyd

I don't wish to raise your hopes too high but, on Facebook Market Place a seller is offering a Sovereign 11 for £15.

I have contacted him and will update you ASAP.

Chris
Old 13th Jul 2022, 6:49 pm   #8
kirstyd
Heptode

Hi all
Well i managed to find an Ariel on a radio i found at the tip .[i go there most days while at work] It not exactly the same but i managed to fit the replacement onto the knuckle of the old one so i didn't have to disturb anything inside the radio and although its 2 sections longer than the broken one it folds away perfectly so all's well again . thanks everyone for your advice
K
Old 13th Jul 2022, 7:05 pm   #9
simpsons
Octode

Great news.

The Facebook Marketplace seller had advised me that he was away until next week.

Your finding one at the local "tip" was so lucky. Our Recyling Centre doesn't allow residents to recycle anything of use after a fight broke out between staff and a resident.

I hasten to add it wasn't me.

Chris
Closed Thread