UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Offered and Wanted Messages > Sets, Parts and Service Information Offered (private sellers only, exact price required, no swaps)

Notices

Sets, Parts and Service Information Offered (private sellers only, exact price required, no swaps) You may announce components or sets for sale or offered free here. Private collectors only - no traders. You must include an exact price. No swaps.

Old 23rd Jun 2021, 5:31 pm   #1
acollins22
Pentode

Default Amstrad PcW512

I have this lovely but un-loved PcW512.

The lower case c seems to imply the 3.5" disk drive rather than the more usual 3" unit.

This was working fine when I put it away an now is not :-(

Comes with keyboard and printer

25 but collection only or FCS.

Click image for larger version

Name:	PcW.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	236306

Cheers,

Andy.
acollins22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Jun 2021, 5:45 pm   #2
duncanlowe
Octode

Default Re: Amstrad PcW512

You had me excited for a short time. But it's very different to the PCW I remember fondly, writing my final year project on. On that, the 3" drive was built in to the RHS of the monitor, and all of the computing parts were also inside the monitor box. This looks more like the early Amstrad PCs running DOS(?) but they had 5 1/4 floppys (used some to develop the stuff my project was based on). I wonder where it fits in the scheme of things?
duncanlowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Jun 2021, 6:00 pm   #3
acollins22
Pentode

Hi Duncan,

This is just a later version of the machine you are familiar with. It run Locoscript or CP/M and all of the gubbins is inside the screen. They made it look a bit like separate units but really it's all in one.

Cheers,

Andy.
Old 23rd Jun 2021, 7:07 pm   #4
duncanlowe
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by acollins22 View Post
Hi Duncan,

This is just a later version of the machine you are familiar with. It run Locoscript or CP/M and all of the gubbins is inside the screen. They made it look a bit like separate units but really it's all in one.

Cheers,

Andy.
Sorry I wasn't trying to suggest it wasn't what you said, only that it wasn't what I remember. I still remember that my Dad felt a little 'done' when the 512 came out with twice the memory and two drives of the 256 that we had, for the same price, and just weeks later. He did write to Amstrad but they essentially said 'well that's progress'.
duncanlowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Jun 2021, 7:43 pm   #5
acollins22
Pentode

No worries, I wasn't miffed at all

I love these old machines. There was so much variety and innovation. (For example, this one has the boot image in the ULA IIRC).

Cheers,

Andy.
Old 23rd Jun 2021, 7:56 pm   #6
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by acollins22 View Post
This was working fine when I put it away an now is not :-(
If the problem is failure to read discs, it's probably that the drive belt has perished. I seem to recall this affected the 3" drives as well as the 3" ones - and you couldn't simply substitute a standard 3" drive.

If I lived closer, I might have expressed an interest in purchasing this to add to my collection of PCW/PcW machines.
Old 24th Jun 2021, 5:35 pm   #7
djmk1988
Tetrode

I am interested, my friend can possibly collect, what is your postcode? Many thanks, Mario
djmk1988 is offline   Reply With Quote