UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Other Discussions > Homebrew Equipment

Notices

Homebrew Equipment A place to show, design and discuss the weird and wonderful electronic creations from the hands of individual members.

Old 22nd Jun 2021, 11:35 pm   #81
Jolly 7
Heptode

Default Re: Mini-Mod 2021!

Quote:
Originally Posted by technotel View Post
Hi Jolly
I have someone already requested it although he was going to send payment for postage, he hasn't done so yet. So give it a little longer and I will get back to you. He may have decided he doesn't want it after all? So you will be next in line.
Terry
Thanks Terry.
Jolly 7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Jul 2021, 10:58 am   #82
fastpete
Triode

Here are a couple of pics of my Mini-Mod 3d printed enclosure. Not as period correct as some of the other beautiful boxes here but it's nice and low profile.

HERE is a link to anyone wanting to print their own.

I can't get over how well these work. They really bring a new lease of life to these radios. Particularly in Ireland where there are few AM stations left.

I have 3 more to build!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	minimod1.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	237293   Click image for larger version

Name:	minimod2.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	237294  
fastpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Jul 2021, 11:39 am   #83
Ian - G4JQT
Octode

It's really good to see that this project is still living. I wrote the MiniMod article that got published in the BVWS Winter 2011 edition!

It always was a compromise between complexity and performance. Great to see the variety of enclosures and the efforts made to make them - I just used plastic project boxes from ebay.

As stations continue to close, it's possible Ofcom will be even less likely to take an interest in what's going on in medium wave - as long as a station's content doesn't draw complaint.

(I was told unofficially in 2014 by an Ofcom inspector that MW pirates are no longer on their radar, as long as the content isn't political, racist, etc. and that would only come to their attention by a report from a member of the public. Our pantry transmitters put out less energy than many SMPS, and don't cause wide-band interference. Nevertheless, unofficial broadcasting is still illegal.)

In future I may develop a simple, more stable and effective AM signal source using CPP Field Programmable Blank Oscillators. They are MUCH cheaper then quarts crystals!
Ian - G4JQT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Jul 2021, 1:58 pm   #84
Electronpusher0
Octode

I agree that its good to see the minimod still going strong.

Depending on demand I may be tempted to obtain and offer more boards at some time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian - G4JQT View Post

In future I may develop a simple, more stable and effective AM signal source using CPP Field Programmable Blank Oscillators. They are MUCH cheaper then quarts crystals!
If you need a pcb laid out on Kicad just let me know. - FOC of course, least I can do.

Peter
Electronpusher0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Jul 2021, 8:59 am   #85
Pamphonica
Nonode

As a small minimod mod, I have experimented with a tiny twin gang cap, about 20pf per side, in parallel across the two main (270pf) caps, but reduced those to 220pf. This allows a small swing, about 30kHz, just enough to get rid of birdies and interference on some sets. I’ll report back once I’ve used it for a bit.
The cap was NOS but was probably designed for a small vhf only set. Nice metal framed air spaced job, with a built-in 3:1 drive. Only about 20mm across.
-Jeremy