UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Clubs, Groups and Societies

Notices

Clubs, Groups and Societies For discussions about various clubs, groups and societies relating to our hobbies, such as the BVWS (incl RetroTechUK), BATC, RSGB, APTS, CLPGS, THG, TCC, BECG, MCR21 etc. This is NOT an official forum for any of these organisations.

Closed Thread

Old 27th Dec 2021, 8:06 pm   #41
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Default Re: BVWS Winter Bulletin

The Telecommunications Heritage Group also publishes its journal as a PDF in parallel with the printed version, but on a web site only accessible to current members. I'm not sure that BVWS has an equivalent place. The early issues (volumes 1-30) are, I believe, available to all as PDFs on the BVWS web site, but if the most recent ones were, there would be less incentive to be a member. OK, there are also other advantages available to members, but even so...
Old 27th Dec 2021, 8:49 pm   #42
Paul Stenning
Administrator

The BVWS does not have a members only part of the website and there are no plans to add one currently. The technicalities of linking the current offline membership database with a website system are too much work for minimal benefit.

Another disadvantage of a PDF version from the society’s point of view is that it can be shared with non-members and even posted online elsewhere which would have an adverse impact on member numbers.

I am gradually working on scanning more older bulletins to get volumes 31-40 online but there is no timescale for that (it’s just when I have time).

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 27th Dec 2021, 8:52 pm   #43
Stuart R
Heptode

I'll just add that mine's not arrived either, but I've been at work for Christmas, so no time to enjoy it. I use the calendar; that's usually a job for this post-Christmas lull, adding all the Birthdays and non-radio related events.

The Bulletin's A4 Glossy format keeps the pictures at a good size and makes it an interesting and enjoyable read. Easy to pick up when it's in hard copy.

However, I am a bit of a hoarder and find good magazines impossible to put in the recycling bin. Last year, I did eventually dispose of all my used calendars but it was a hard decision.

My BVWS membership doesn't go back that far, so my Bulletin collection only fills three box files. My car club produces a monthly A5 magazine and I've been a member since the late 90s, one 3' x 3' bookcase is now full of them. The car club do offer back-issues on CD-ROM which is something I should purchase, but I'd still hate to see the magazines go.

An on-line version or free PDF download for BVWS members might help some of us who are running out of space.

I agree with Nick, The Bulletin is quality item thanks to the effort put in by Alex and his contributors.

SR

Last edited by Stuart R; 27th Dec 2021 at 8:54 pm. Reason: Post crossed with Paul's.
Old 27th Dec 2021, 11:05 pm   #44
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Because the Bulletin comes out four times a year (six times a year from 1992 to 1995), my complete set of printed copies only takes up about two feet of shelf space (at a guess, I haven't actually checked).
Old 27th Dec 2021, 11:15 pm   #45
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Stenning View Post
The BVWS does not have a members only part of the website and there are no plans to add one currently. The technicalities of linking the current offline membership database with a website system are too much work for minimal benefit.
Thank you for confirming what I thought.

Quote:
Another disadvantage of a PDF version from the society’s point of view is that it can be shared with non-members and even posted online elsewhere which would have an adverse impact on member numbers.
THG has to trust members not to do this, and presumably the committee would be within its rights to apply sanctions (ultimately termination of membership) to anyone abusing that trust.

As I said though, this is a moot point in the absence of a members-only page.

By the way, I think signing up to THG members-only web site is separate from the membership database, but is only granted to members after a manual check.
Old 28th Dec 2021, 8:11 pm   #46
Gabe001
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valvepower View Post
[

Hello Gabe001,

Thanks for the nice comment. I must admit doing an article like the Stens restoration gets to be quite an undertaking and gets complex, especially, in the final stages of writing it up and having to compile it, and no matter how many times I check it there will be something creep under radar so to speak. As we say at the factory, I was paid a visit by Captain Calamity!

To answer the questions:

I used the 6J5 triode as per the original circuit, although a 6J7 may have been better choice to get the gain up, however RF pentodes like the 6J7 where perceived to have lower audio quality. This is discussed in the S. W. Amos Article – RF Pentodes as AF Amplifiers in Wireless World June 1944.

Voltages (ref. components identifiers on the circuit diagram and with a 240V mains voltage)

C11 (reservoir capacitor) = 393V
C10 (filter capacitor and anode HT) = 286V
C12 (6SN7 decoupling) = 271V
C1 (6J5) decoupling) = 201V
6V6 Cathode end of R13 = 14V

As I said the Bulletin R17 gets mighty hot as its dropping 107V

Subsequent to sending the article for inclusion in the Bulletin I unearthed a circuit (attached) using an EF40 in the V1 position – a relative of the 6J7 , from a 1951 Mullard data book where you can see similarities to the Sterns 8-10. I feel the Mullard design of 1951 may have contributed to the Sterns 8-10. Mind you, Sterns went on to subsequently offer the Mullard EL84 5-10 amp as kit ‘as-is’.

Finally, another error has been spotted and thanks to the two chaps for letting me know, it’s really appreciated. It has been pointed out the K and Ohm error in the middle paragraph describing the power supply on page 22, and it should read… “Instead of a typical value of ‘say’ 100-200Ω the resistor is 1000Ω” … I have to say I just kept quiet on this one and didn’t say anything about this as I was already embarrassed about the 6J5/7 mix up

However, I remember checking that in the proofread and it was OK’… I had a look at my proof copy, and it was correct, so the only thing I feel could have happened is a corruption somewhere in the process after my proofreading the article, anyway these things happen.

Regards
Terry
Thank you Terry. I am currently is the process of building an Olson audition amplifer with a 6v6 P-P output, hence the interest. Same valve lineup, different design; more of a Williamson (abbreviated) than a Mullard. It would be interesting to see how it measures up.
Old 29th Dec 2021, 11:55 am   #47
Valvepower
Octode

Hello,

I've put some info that may be of some interest in the the Olson thread.

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...75#post1435675

Terry
Old 29th Dec 2021, 3:39 pm   #48
kalee20
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage_RC View Post
Also voted online for the Pat Leggatt award.
As have I, not a trivial task as there is almost always an article of great interest to me in each issue - and sometimes other articles of less interest (TV based) are deserving due to being write-ups of a big restoration and well-researched, well-written!

Quote:
Originally Posted by slidertogrid View Post
The only reason I don't contribute articles is that I fear they wouldn't be good enough!
So I was wondering... is there any benefit it publicising the votes for each article? That way, would-be contributors could get a feel for the degree of popularity of each article. It may be a controversial matter for Committee deliberation, as the data is shared among the folk there, of course!
Old 29th Dec 2021, 4:29 pm   #49

Mine just popped through the letter box, waiting for Tesco delivery so it doesn't upset the reading. Tesco has just arrived, reading in 15 minutes...

Old 29th Dec 2021, 6:10 pm   #50
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalee20 View Post
So I was wondering... is there any benefit it publicising the votes for each article? That way, would-be contributors could get a feel for the degree of popularity of each article. It may be a controversial matter for Committee deliberation, as the data is shared among the folk there, of course!
It is not something that has been raised or considered previously. One concern would be the effect to those who's articles didn't receive many or any votes. There are plenty of really good articles that many members enjoyed but that don't get that many votes (they could be the second or third choice for many members).

If people could vote for first, second, third etc choice then announcing more than the winner and positions of the top few could be an option, but with a single vote for 37 articles and typically under 100 members actually voting it would not be accurate or meaningful enough.

Personally I do not think it is worth the complexity of a Eurovision Song Contest type scoring system, or the amount of extra work it would create, for no real benefit. Indeed if members have to choose their top three or whatever there could be even less voters.

I can say that right now there are two articles in joint first place and two close behind in joint second place in the online voting. But it is still early days and there are also the postal votes to include. Every vote matters!

There is also one where an author has voted for his own article, so that vote will be disqualified. It happens every year with the same person.

Paul Stenning
Old 29th Dec 2021, 7:16 pm   #51

A most enjoyable first read, a mix of restoration, explanation and display (I want all the stuff at RetrotechUK plus the space required!) And the calendar, what an interesting type to collect, I will enjoy every months picture.

Old 29th Dec 2021, 9:30 pm   #52
kalee20
Dekatron

Quote:
Quote:
So I was wondering... is there any benefit it publicising the votes for each article? That way, would-be contributors could get a feel for the degree of popularity of each article.
It is not something that has been raised or considered previously. One concern would be the effect to those who's articles didn't receive many or any votes. ...

with a single vote for 37 articles and typically under 100 members actually voting it would not be accurate or meaningful enough.

Personally I do not think it is worth the complexity of a Eurovision Song Contest type scoring system...

Indeed if members have to choose their top three or whatever there could be even less voters.
Thank you Paul for the answer - the numbers above, alone largely clinch it! Insufficient data to be meaningful (something I did not know when I asked the question).
Old 30th Dec 2021, 12:44 pm   #53
Valvepower
Octode

Hello,

Been thinking about this…

As a rookie to the writing of articles for the Bulletin, I’m doing it to contribute to the society and it’s richness. If an article should get only one or even zero votes but someone finds it useful and informative it’s been a job well done.

Terry.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
So I was wondering... is there any benefit it publicising the votes for each article? That way, would-be contributors could get a feel for the degree of popularity of each article.
It is not something that has been raised or considered previously. One concern would be the effect to those who's articles didn't receive many or any votes. ...

with a single vote for 37 articles and typically under 100 members actually voting it would not be accurate or meaningful enough.

Personally I do not think it is worth the complexity of a Eurovision Song Contest type scoring system...

Indeed if members have to choose their top three or whatever there could be even less voters.
Thank you Paul for the answer - the numbers above, alone largely clinch it! Insufficient data to be meaningful (something I did not know when I asked the question).
Old 31st Dec 2021, 12:24 pm   #54
Trifocaltrev
Hexode

I regret to say that my Bulletin has only just arrived, I am looking forward to a good read along with a cup of coffee!

Regards
Trevor.
Old 31st Dec 2021, 3:58 pm   #55
Bob_Moss
Pentode

Mine arrived before Christmas, an excellent read. Unfortunately due to the fact that I retire today AND there is a superb article on the Philco 444, I now have no excuse for not restoring the one I bought in 1985!
Old 31st Dec 2021, 4:25 pm   #56
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Wishing you a happy retirement. No doubt you'll soon be so busy that you'll wonder how you ever found time to earn a living!
Old 31st Dec 2021, 6:31 pm   #57
winston_1
Hexode

Mine has still not arrived. Should I be worried?
Old 1st Jan 2022, 2:10 pm   #58
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Not yet, give it a few more days. If it hasn't arrived by the end of the week contact the membership secretary.

Paul Stenning
Old 6th Jan 2022, 6:50 pm   #59
winston_1
Hexode

It arrived at last, today.
Old 6th Jan 2022, 10:01 pm   #60
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Sounds like your post folk are off sick if that far behind.