UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Success Stories

Notices

Success Stories If you have successfully repaired or restored a piece of equipment, why not write up what you did and post details here. Particularly if it was interesting, unusual or challenging. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 22nd Nov 2021, 10:05 am   #1
6SN7WGTB
Hexode

Default Kikusui PSU mains cable stowage mod

A rather modest 'success' but one I'm sharing in case it appeals to others.

I have two Kikusui PAB PSUs I acquired from an ex-BBC engineer. He shared my dislike of captive trailing mains cables, or perhaps I acquired that from him too...

With test gear in particular, I also don't see the use of yards of trailing cable when I'm working on the bench.

Given that these units have insufficient space to add a Cannon or IEC socket, he devised a very neat way of stowing the cables, atop the unit, by the addition of two cable tidy 'brackets' plus opening the square holes in the lids.

I've just acquired a further s/h unit - which in any event had a damaged mains cable, and made the same mod myself.

It makes for neat stowage.

Best explained in pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8901D.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	246347   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8900D.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	246349   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8903.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	246350  
Old 22nd Nov 2021, 8:15 pm   #2
turretslug
Dekatron

Default Re: Kikusui PSU mains cable stowage mod

Neat! I particularly like the nibbled-out ventilation hole bit. The cable brackets will also help with the tendency of some to put a folder/newspaper/whatever over the ventilation holes on hard-worked PSUs- probably more likely in a work rather than home setting.

I'm not a fan of captive leads either- sometimes there's simply no space for an IEC inlet but a stub of cable with an IEC line plug on it is one option.
Closed Thread