UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 24th Sep 2022, 4:40 pm   #1
sbosque
Diode

Default Sony AVC3250CE Professional TV camera 1973 B&W

Hello,

This is my first post so please guide me if this is not the correct forum.

I have found the following items clearing my father's attic:
- Two Sony AVC3250CE Professional TV cameras, 1973, B&W in their cases
(I've tested them and one seems to be working fine but the other doesn't)
- One zoom
- 2 x 5 metres av cables
- 1 x 10 metres av cable

I've attached three photos.

I'd like to:
- know the approximate value
- sell them for charity, or give them to a museum
- know how to sell them, or who might be interested

Serge
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sony1.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	265232   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sony2.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	265233   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sony3.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	265234  
Old 27th Sep 2022, 10:56 pm   #2
George Cooper
Triode

Default Re: Sony AVC3250CE Professional TV camera 1973 B&W

I worked with these cameras back in the day, three of them with a mixer and fx generator.

They are semi pro cameras, were fitted with Vidicon tubes and I am sure they would never have been used by Broadcast TV. They were used in education a lot.

They were good in there day, reliable, and were used mostly along with the Sony CV2000 video recorder.

I have no idea of value sorry,
Old 28th Sep 2022, 11:58 am   #3
beamcurrent
Heptode

Hello Serge

One of our volunteers for the Broadcast Television Technology Trust has expressed an interest in your cameras for his personal use. Our Trust already have two of them so no direct interest for our museum, they are quite a common camera, Sony sold a lot in the UK.

If you are prepared to donate them to our trust for him, as one of our key volunteers that would be splendid and he is able to collect.

See our Trusts project at www.mcr21.org.uk and the museum at www.tvcameramuseum.org

Regards Brian

Charity No. 1179333

Visit the Virtual Broadcast TV Camera Museum
Old 28th Sep 2022, 12:09 pm   #4
Vintage Engr
Heptode

The company I worked for at the time these cameras were around sold very many of them.
They are quite reliable, & the fact that they came as a 'kit-in-a-box' means that many of those still around are in fairly good condition.
I also worked on the SPG's, FX generators etc, in the day it was quite a respectable system.

David.
Old 28th Sep 2022, 1:09 pm   #5
paulsherwin

As said, these were semipro cameras widely used in education and industry. I think my sixth form college (opened 1970) had a 2 camera setup with something very similar.
Old 28th Sep 2022, 2:08 pm   #6
sbosque
Diode

Thank you all for your answers and interesting information.
I was contacted a few days ago by the Broadcast Engineering Conservation Group (BECG), who will collect them for their new museum near Gainsborough in Lincolnshire.
Old 29th Sep 2022, 9:04 pm   #7
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsherwin View Post
As said, these were semipro cameras widely used in education and industry. I think my sixth form college (opened 1970) had a 2 camera setup with something very similar.
We had something similar when I did my CGLI Course 48 in radio TV and electronics servicing at Salford Tech in 1969/70

The CCTV system was under the control of the head of the baking department, a Mr Pierce. He ran the extracurricular drama group.

There was a trolley mounted mixing desk, but only one camera, which may well have been the type under discussion.
No other vision sources that I remember. There were camera socket points at a few strategic locations, and monitor points at many more.
There was some equipment in a boiler-room or similar, probably a patch panel, but I do remember a unit with a +/- switch so maybe an RF modulator.

Despite from expressing an interest I never got to use any of it, or even saw it used in the entire two years I was there.
Old 29th Sep 2022, 11:26 pm   #8
peterpixel
Pentode

I was studio engineer at University of Salford from 1970 to 1979 and was responsible for the setting up of two tv studios, one of which on Meadow Road was used extensively for program production but not with these cameras,we used later Shibaden cameras intended for studio use. The second studio was never used during my time as no extra staff were employed or budgeted for. The Sony cameras were on stock before 1970 and were used as stand alone systems in labs and lecture theatres to monitor experiments and to look down microscopes etc. They were very reliable and required very little maintenance and being portable were very useful. I'm glad that they are going to a good home as an example of the technology of the time at that level. Peter.
Old 30th Sep 2022, 9:17 am   #9
Radio Wrangler

The cameras have been successfully re-homed, so the thread has done its job...

David