UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 17th Sep 2022, 4:16 pm   #1
David Simpson
Nonode

Default Huge triode

A pal has just acquired a huge 12" tall Triode with a 3 3/4" dia. base, which he'll be fetching over for me to hopefully test. No ident printed on the glass or the base. I asked him to get a magnifying glass & look inside at the glass pinch.
He can see "8615 or is that 861S" etched at the top, with "E followed by a curly C" below. GEC maybe?
Several years ago, I tested an STC4212D making a bespoke 4 pin valve holder, and hopefully that will fit or can be adapted. He's metered continuity across two of the pins, so that bodes well.
Any info &/or advice most welcome, please.

Regards, David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Gordon's Triode (a).jpg
Views:	567
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	264867   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gordon's Triode (b).jpg
Views:	595
Size:	108.7 KB
ID:	264868   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gordon's Triode (c).jpg
Views:	557
Size:	92.3 KB
ID:	264869  
Old 17th Sep 2022, 5:00 pm   #2
murphyv310
Dekatron

Default Re: Huge triode

Hi.
I had one and it went for a large sum of money.
Some Audio guy jumped at it.
Old 17th Sep 2022, 5:00 pm   #3
jjl
Octode

It could be a GEC V1505 - GEC's "An Approach to Audio Frequency Amplifier Design" book featured a 300W push-pull amplifier using this type.

John
Old 17th Sep 2022, 5:19 pm   #4
Hartley118
Nonode

That certainly looks like an STC 4212 as used in the Bryan Savage 1kW audio amplifiers designed for vibration testing, but also favoured by the likes of Rediffusion for their programme distribution. ISTR the output pair were transformer driven from a pair of KT66s.

We used to use them for powering automated audio mixing desks with 117V 60Hz. Back in the day, that's what the floppy disk drives needed when ordered for the US market.

I have a 'left over' 4212 in the loft somewhere, but, splendid thing though it is, I've never found a use for it.

Martin
Old 17th Sep 2022, 5:52 pm   #5
Vintage_RC
Heptode

I have a 4212 on display in my valve collection and it is certainly impressive. Mind you it looks small compared with the MT9L that Wendy Mott kindly donated to me.
Old 17th Sep 2022, 7:31 pm   #6
Vintage_RC
Heptode

A photo of the 4212 and the MT9L
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ValveDisplay3.jpg
Views:	502
Size:	93.0 KB
ID:	264882  
Old 17th Sep 2022, 10:11 pm   #7
joebog1
Banned

It looks the perfect match to amplifying a crystal set. Might need a bit more drive though .

Joe
Old 18th Sep 2022, 10:42 am   #8
David Simpson
Nonode

Like Trevor, I flogged the 4212D for a wad of dosh. But then, I have STC's 1940's Valve Data Manual for their range of big thumpers, which contains families of Gm graphs for each valve. Hence, was able to test it with my DC tester (admittingly at the lowest of the Va's), to compare with STC's spec. Thus, providing a graph of STC's & my own tester's Gm to the purchaser. In fact, those who know me, ken that I always provide tabulated graphs for big power valves, when I've flogged them in the past. KT's, PX25's, etc. But that's only once in a blue moon, as I'm not a wheeler dealer.
Thanks, guys, for revealing the probability of this beast being a V1505. I'll update when my pal brings it over next week.

Regards, David
Old 21st Jun 2023, 9:19 pm   #9
Station X

Thread reopened at OP's request.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 23rd Jun 2023, 4:35 pm   #10
David Simpson
Nonode

Thanks Graham. At last I have this valve in my possession. Looks in mint condition. Pity it didn't come with it's original box, as that would have enhanced my belief that its NOS. Will start to re-assemble the thumping big heater rig, and Ia/Vg testing rig.
Will keep folk informed.

Regards, David
Old 24th Jun 2023, 12:20 pm   #11
Vintage Engr
Heptode

That's very interesting, I also have one of these that I use as a "Techno-ornament".
I was given it by a lecturer, when I was servicing an industrial video projector at BAe, about 30years ago.

I was up a ladder, adjusting the convergence, on a Barco CRT projector, & being as quiet as possible, as there was a lecture in progress. When the students left the hall, the triode was on the lecturer's desk.
I made some comment about "you don't get many of those to the pound", & when seeing my interest, & after a brief discussion about old technology, I was given it.

Like David, I have never found a base for it!

David.
Old 24th Jun 2023, 5:41 pm   #12
lesmw0sec
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartley118 View Post
That certainly looks like an STC 4212 as used in the Bryan Savage 1kW audio amplifiers designed for vibration testing, but also favoured by the likes of Rediffusion for their programme distribution. ISTR the output pair were transformer driven from a pair of KT66s.

We used to use them for powering automated audio mixing desks with 117V 60Hz. Back in the day, that's what the floppy disk drives needed when ordered for the US market.

I have a 'left over' 4212 in the loft somewhere, but, splendid thing though it is, I've never found a use for it.

Martin
You remind me of the one we had in the standards lab at Winfrith which it was my job to maintain. I recall the red-hot anodes at full o/p and also seem to recall that there was an unbalance detection trip circuit of some sort which was quite easy to engage.
Old 3rd Jul 2023, 9:22 pm   #13
David Simpson
Nonode

Looks like the brown marks on the ceramic underside could be old dried flux. Also a bit on the Anode pin. A VMARS pal has suggested that there is a break within the valve base, and perhaps a previous owner has attempted a re-soldering remedy. We're going to heat up the filament with my 24V DC supply & dropper again - next Sunday. Then apply 2.5KV from my huge HV Megger between the Anode pin & Filament. Might encourage some Ia if the break is almost touching. Following that - a thorough de-soldering of the anode pin followed by a quick re-soldering. One can but try.

Regards, David
Old 4th Jul 2023, 9:16 am   #14
Diabolical Artificer
Dekatron

Maybe the previous owner just re-soldered the filament pins, dry joints OC filament/heaters is something I've had on a few valves.

Nice valve, Andy.
Old 4th Jul 2023, 12:02 pm   #15
David Simpson
Nonode

Aye, Andy, thankfully the filament connections were fine. Should've posted these pictures sooner. 'Fraid this big fella has had to vie for attention with the Ekco A22 & exhausting jobbies outside on our wee smallholding. For the last several days the flippin rain has driven me inside. Electronicing & blethering on the Forum.
The spec for the 4212D I had(and the V1505) is Vf = 14V & drew 6A. This beastie already drew 6A at just 9.52V. My hefty 24VDC supply(2 12V Tractor Batteries backed up by a Sailor N1404 40A Marine PSU), along with the 10A rated Dropper, could give more closely to 14V, but hey - that filament might light up like a halogen headlight !
(Googling "STC4212" - bring up one on eBay for over £700!). I got about a quarter of that several years back for the NOS boxed 4212D, & that included an A4 plotted graph of an Ia/Vg curve.

Regards, David
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Big Triode (a).jpg
Views:	87
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	280776   Click image for larger version

Name:	Big Triode (b).jpg
Views:	92
Size:	100.1 KB
ID:	280777   Click image for larger version

Name:	Big Triode (c).jpg
Views:	92
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	280778   Click image for larger version

Name:	Big Triode (e).jpg
Views:	88
Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	280779   Click image for larger version

Name:	Big Triode (f).jpg
Views:	80
Size:	119.7 KB
ID:	280780  

Old 4th Jul 2023, 12:41 pm   #16
Diabolical Artificer
Dekatron

Perhaps try one battery EG 12v - though most automotive batteries are more like 13.5v for first power up. Not sure with these triodes if the filament needs powering for 20 minutes before applying HT, quite a few big valves like MVR's and other transmitting valves specify that after a long time not powered up.

These big old triodes are like phoenix feathers, wonder what they cost new?

Andy.
Old 4th Jul 2023, 2:49 pm   #17
emeritus
Dekatron

At least your large valve is a valve. When I browsed the on-line Marconi collection catalogue shortly after it had gone to Oxford, I came across this alleged "Giant Radio Valve", which I immediately realised was in fact a bi-post base, high power incandescent tungsten lamp bulb which, from its colour temperature marking, was intended for studio colour photography or filming. I emailed the curator, enclosing scans from text books with a line drawing of this type of bulb and a description which mentioned its (1930's) date of introduction, but got no reply, and the website still has the incorrect description today.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screenshot_2023-07-04-14-34-26.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	39.3 KB
ID:	280801  
Old 25th Jul 2023, 3:17 pm   #18
David Simpson
Nonode

Took the filament voltage up to 14V & it drew 9A. Had tried resoldering the big Anode pin, but all to no avail, just couldn't achieve even a uA of Ia even with 2KV on the anode. After 15 min, the pinch succumbed to the heat & blew the vacume at the tiny wee nipple. The chap who owned it said to just skip it. As it was only discovered in a gash box of glassware acquired from an auction.
So, Moderators, this thread can be closed. David
Old 25th Jul 2023, 5:41 pm   #19
Radio Wrangler

There might not have been much vacuum to start with if that much heat was getting from the filament to the pinch.

Oh, well, it's an ornament now.

David