UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 17th Sep 2022, 6:11 am   #1
Dalejustin
Diode

Default Philips VR6940/75 VCR (VHS)

Brains trust!

Recently acquired this awesome vhs vcr
(1985) Philips VR6940/75
(the one with a little remote dock on the unit!)

It has been working perfectly but recently put in a tape and it failed to load the tape onto the head once the cassette was inserted. And thus would not respond to the play button... but ejected the tape just fine.

Upon inserting a bunch of different tapes, I found that this was the only tape it didn't want to load up some reason?

This is my first Philips vcr and the threading mechanism is way different to what I am used to... is anybody familiar with this machine and had this problem before, or know what could be causing this?

This is the only machine I have which unloads the tape from the head before fwding and rewinding.. is this what is referred to as a charly deck?

Thanks in advance ☺️
Dale
Old 17th Sep 2022, 9:33 am   #2
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

Default Re: Philips VR6940/75 VCR (VHS)

Not familiar with the model number, but if it loads in a C shape around the head followed by the pinchroller clattering up a railway then it's a Charlie deck. Nothing else sounds like it - fortunately!
If so, the plastic mouldings on the deck are getting a bit old now, and probably your tape doesn't quite fit. It's a complex mechanism and changing from loading the cassette to threading the tape is clever but a bit fragile.
Old 17th Sep 2022, 11:50 am   #3
dazzlevision
Dekatron

It uses the Panasonic G tape deck mechanism - Philips refer to it as the DM4/0 tape deck.

Looking at the Philips service manual for the VR6940, it looks like the electronics is also from Panasonic, so probably a Panasonic made VCR to a Philips specification...?

The Philips service manuals for the VR6490 and the DM4/0 deck are free to download from http://freeservicemanuals.info/en/?search=VR6490
(I hope it's OK to mention this, as these are not available from Paul Stenning's www.service-data.com site)

Last edited by dazzlevision; 17th Sep 2022 at 12:00 pm.
Old 17th Sep 2022, 12:44 pm   #4
Maarten
Dekatron

The link above is for the VR6490, not the VR6940. The VR6490 was made by Marantz, which was part of Philips at that time, using a Panasonic deck mechanism.

From what I can find so far, the VR6943 is likely made by Sharp.

Edit: the service manual for the western europe version of the VR6943 is available at archive.org, definitely Sharp: https://ia804501.us.archive.org/15/i...PHILIPS_EN.pdf

Last edited by Maarten; 17th Sep 2022 at 12:54 pm.
Old 17th Sep 2022, 1:12 pm   #5
dazzlevision
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maarten View Post
The link above is for the VR6490, not the VR6940. The VR6490 was made by Marantz, which was part of Philips at that time, using a Panasonic deck mechanism.

From what I can find so far, the VR6943 is likely made by Sharp.

Edit: the service manual for the western europe version of the VR6943 is available at archive.org, definitely Sharp: https://ia804501.us.archive.org/15/i...PHILIPS_EN.pdf
Oops, a senior moment!

Last edited by dazzlevision; 17th Sep 2022 at 1:33 pm.
Old 17th Sep 2022, 1:36 pm   #6
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

Oops too!
Maybe you could post a picture of the deck itself. If it's a Panasonic one it should be fairly conventional.
Old 17th Sep 2022, 1:52 pm   #7
dazzlevision
Dekatron

After further research (using the correct model number this time!) I agree that the VR6940 was made by Sharp (at least the tape deck was).

There's a review of the VR6940 here (page 34 on): https://worldradiohistory.com/AUSTRA...-07%20July.pdf
Old 17th Sep 2022, 5:41 pm   #8
Sideband
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalejustin View Post
Brains trust!

Recently acquired this awesome vhs vcr
(1985) Philips VR6940/75
(the one with a little remote dock on the unit!)
You might be better searching Australian forums for this one. Philips didn't always market the same VCR's all over the world and some were just country specific. Having said that, a picture of the machine and the mechanics might help to identify the deck at least.