UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 26th Sep 2012, 12:56 am   #1
Refugee
Dekatron

Default Phone from afar

This one is not all that old but it does have some confusing instructions on the back.
It came from the land of oil and war.
It can make calls and can get onto awful call centers and the ringer works.
It was taken out of service due to the handset cord getting very noisy at the phone end and a new one never cured this. I think it is time to find the way in in order to fix it.
I have just discovered that there are clock setting instructions on the back however there are some other bits that look interesting.
There are "N"s and "M"s in the strings to be keyed in to get them to work and also the meaning of some of them are not at all clear to me.
Some of the "N"s make sense but others do not in any way to me.
I checked the web about 5 years ago and came to the conclusion that handbooks are printed on unobtanium
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF5438.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	70962   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF5441.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	70963   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF5442.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	70964  
Old 26th Sep 2012, 6:55 am   #2
dagskarlsen
Heptode

Default Re: Phone from afar

N is a numeric value, either a number, or a time. Flash time varies between national standards. My guess is this will be in millisec.
M is probably memory number (ID)

dsk

Last edited by Dave Moll; 26th Sep 2012 at 5:30 pm. Reason: unnecessary full quote of preceding post removed
Old 26th Sep 2012, 8:46 am   #3
Refugee
Dekatron

That is a good start.
Last time i plugged it in i was in a hurry and there was a very stressful house move approaching.
In the next week i will fix the handset cord and now i have realised that the label exists try some batteries in the clock. I just guessed there was a safety notice on the back and never gave it a second glance.
Old 26th Sep 2012, 1:14 pm   #4
Station X

Confusing. I think 'M' can be Minute, Month or Message depending on the function.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Closed Thread