UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Television Standards Converters, Modulators etc

Notices

Television Standards Converters, Modulators etc Standards converters, modulators anything else for providing signals to vintage televisions.

Closed Thread

Old 11th Apr 2006, 2:58 pm   #1
BassoonBloke
Pentode

Exclamation Modulators - who's got what ?

Hello People,

Continuing on from a previous conversation, who's got what modulator and what do you think of it's performance.
I have a ETF modulator from America (via Steve McAvoy) and having only completed it a short while ago (considering i've had the board for over a year!!) i must admit that i think i'm getting really good results.
I'm using it on a Bush TV12AM and a Pye LV20.
Anyone have any views on who can supply the best 405 line tapes (films / documentries e,t,c)
I recently got a semi pro vhs player from fleabay for a fiver +P&P and it gives great results (a PANASONIC AG 5260).

Alan.
Old 11th Apr 2006, 3:10 pm   #2
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Modulators - who's got what ?

May I suggest you buy a standards converter and then you can show any material on your TVs. I will be reviewing the new Aurora converter very shortly and if the original was anything to go by it will be good. The new Aurora has an integral modulator switchable to any of the 13 channels and costs $260 (about £150). If you are at all serious about vintage TV it's difficult to argue at that price.

http://www.auroravideosys.com/converter/
Old 11th Apr 2006, 3:14 pm   #3
Dave Moll
Dekatron

The only modulator that I have in working order is the one integral to my Domino standards convertor.

I have an ETF modulator which I have gradually been building and is just about completed but as yet untested, which I intend to use for other 405-line sources such as my test card generator - currently running at 625 and feeding the Domino.

If I ever succeed in acquiring a pattern generator with built-in modulator, I will investigate the possibility of installing the ability to switch between the internal signal and an external one.
Old 11th Apr 2006, 3:22 pm   #4
evingar
Octode

Hi Basson Bloke and welcome, good to see another 405 Line TV enthusiast

In answer to your question, I use a Dinosaur modulator, unfortunately no longer available.

With respect to 405-line video, mine is generated from a Pineapple based standards converter (built from odds and sods left over from the original project, with some some of my own mods).

If you want a small relatively cheap (no price published yet AFAIK) "no fuss" standards converter, Aurora will very soon be producing one - If feel like getting more involved, also see the active threads on the Darius analogue converter and Kat Manton's standard PC standards converter.

**Edit -

while I was faffing around posting and making a cup of tea, I notice Jeffrey has given a price for the Aurora - Agreed, looks like a "no-brainer" price wise, I'll be sorely tempted to get one another at that kind of dosh, especially with modulator built in

Last edited by evingar; 11th Apr 2006 at 3:28 pm.
Old 11th Apr 2006, 4:03 pm   #5
Sean Williams
Dekatron

I too have the ETF modulator, and have built the "Darius Modulator" as discussed on this forum.

I do find the Darius unit to give better results, and I look forward to the standards converter to follow soon!

Cheers
Sean
Old 11th Apr 2006, 4:08 pm   #6
Kat Manton
Retired Dormant Member

Hi,

I've not got a working modulator as yet - and only one television set so far - a Sony 9-90UB dual--standard 9" portable - though now I can watch off-air TV and DVDs on them, 405-line sets (maybe 441 and 819-line sets too) may well proliferate.

I have the bits to build Steve McVoy's modulator; but haven't built it yet - I'm too busy now on what has rapidly evolved into a multistandard PC-based PVR project.

What I would like for myself is one single box with an HD-15 connector to connect to the PC graphics card, and an RF output, with channel and standard selection (which could be automatic.) I may well end up working on such a device; I've always wanted to learn more about digital frequency synthesis and this could be a good excuse

Regards, Kat
Old 11th Apr 2006, 4:32 pm   #7
Panrock
Nonode

I've still got my 'David Looser' modulator, going strong ever since 1983 and originally built before he published the design in Television magazine.

I also now have the modulator which came as part of the Domino converter, with its input now available for independent access. (yes, Malcolm did give me permission to do this )

Steve
Old 11th Apr 2006, 5:11 pm   #8
tvden
Retired Dormant Member

Hi all well I have a Domino, and a half built Etf modulator for Birmingham, I can see a few secondhand standards convertors coming onto the market if the Aurora is being sold for £150, I could be tempted at that sort of money as you get a lot of standards and I have often wanted to buy a few foreign sets but was put off by the fact I would have to get convertors for them, but of course we now have Kats offering as well as Darius, spoilt for choice !!!! regards Den
Old 11th Apr 2006, 5:30 pm   #9
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvden
Hi all well I have a Domino, and a half built Etf modulator for Birmingham, I can see a few secondhand standards convertors coming onto the market if the Aurora is being sold for £150, I could be tempted at that sort of money as you get a lot of standards and I have often wanted to buy a few foreign sets but was put off by the fact I would have to get convertors for them, but of course we now have Kats offering as well as Darius, spoilt for choice !!!! regards Den
The new Aurora is not multistandard. The output standard is pre-set during manufacture and while it is possible to reconfigure it with the correct equipment this is a long way from true switchability. There are also a few minor component value changes for the different standards.
Old 11th Apr 2006, 6:32 pm   #10
tvden
Retired Dormant Member

Jeffrey I stand corrected I was prob thinking of the original, still I suppose for the money its still a reasonable deal, much better than having to build one regards Den
Old 11th Apr 2006, 6:44 pm   #11
evingar
Octode

Quote:
May I suggest you buy a standards converter and then you can show any material on your TVs. I will be reviewing the new Aurora converter very shortly and if the original was anything to go by it will be good. The new Aurora has an integral modulator switchable to any of the 13 channels and costs $260 (about £150). If you are at all serious about vintage TV it's difficult to argue at that price.
Just had a look at the Aurora web site - That thing is tiny!!!! It would be feasible to house inside most 405 Line TV cabinets - Maybe a little too expensive consider one for every TV in the collection though

Old 11th Apr 2006, 6:49 pm   #12
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by evingar
Just had a look at the Aurora web site - That thing is tiny!!!!
I know. I've been warned to glue it down when demo-ing it at the NVCF as it might grow little legs and walk off
Old 12th Apr 2006, 4:33 pm   #13
oldeurope
Retired Dormant Member

Building a modulator yourself makes still sense.
For a transconductance modulator you need ony the oscillator
and the transconductance modulator transistor.
Two transistors. Look here for fundamentals :
http://bs.cyty.com/menschen/e-etzold.../uvb/uvb_e.htm

From the aurora output you need only a PNP emitter follower for
the biasing.
I read that the aurora gives no output in the bypass mode. So you need
an UVB for the biasing if you want to playback 405 vhs tapes etc.
I'll make loaded boards for the npn vision positiv modulator in summer and
will sell them with ready aglined London/Birmingham filters.

Kind regards
Darius
Old 12th Apr 2006, 5:03 pm   #14
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darius
I read that the aurora gives no output in the bypass mode. So you need an UVB for the biasing if you want to playback 405 vhs tapes etc.
I'm not sure what you mean. In bypass mode, if you put a valid video signal into the video input the output will be a correctly modulated signal. If you remove the video input the vision carrier will (I think) go zero level.

If you have a standards converter why would you want to use 405 line tapes anyway?
Old 12th Apr 2006, 6:00 pm   #15
oldeurope
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppppenguin
I'm not sure what you mean. In bypass mode, if you put a valid video signal into the video input the output will be a correctly modulated signal. If you remove the video input the vision carrier will (I think) go zero level.

If you have a standards converter why would you want to use 405 line tapes anyway?
See page 6 Composite Video Output.

The same reasons why you make tapes on 625.
I have some 405 films I don't have in 625.
Of course you can playback vhs with the aurora modulator in bypass mode.
That is why it has this mode.

Kind regards
Darius
Old 12th Apr 2006, 6:02 pm   #16
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppppenguin
Surely, if you are going to record video to play back on 405 lines and you have a VHS recorder suitable for recording at 405, you will get a better 405-line picture if the recording is done after standards converting than before, due to the loss of resolution at 625 lines caused by the limited bandwidth of VHS recording.
Old 12th Apr 2006, 6:05 pm   #17
oldeurope
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvden
Jeffrey I stand corrected I was prob thinking of the original, still I suppose for the money its still a reasonable deal, much better than having to build one regards Den
Hi, building equipment and repairing is part of the hobby, isn't it?

Kind regards
Darius
Old 12th Apr 2006, 6:40 pm   #18
gdTV
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darius
Hi, building equipment and repairing is part of the hobby, isn't it?

Hi Darius,

Absolutely right

If given an unlimited budget to buy at least one of all the commercially produced, and excellent I'm sure, standards convertors / modulators, I'd still 'need' to build one myself (which may not be so excellent but hopefully work reasonably). The other facet, for me personally, is to self-design it, even if some basic concepts are borrowed from elsewhere.

So, even with the temptation to buy a low cost Aurora at that price, the recent purchase on ebay of the correct video card and download of Gentoo Unix to set-up one of Kat's 405 line PVR's, and watching the analogue convertor schematics and kit developing nicely, I'm still persisting with bits of veroboard, various fifo's and eproms to build something unique.

To do this requires an interest in modern and vintage electronics however. This is where I think some of the distinction lies between folk who want to do it all for the technological challenge, and others who just want an easy signal source to enjoy their vintage electronics. Each to their own

Graham.
Old 13th Apr 2006, 4:34 pm   #19
peter_scott
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassoonBloke
Hello People,

Continuing on from a previous conversation, who's got what modulator and what do you think of it's performance.

Alan.
I built Darius' original standards converter and Ch1 modulator. The modulator was very simple to construct and is delightfully stable in operation.

Peter.
Old 15th Apr 2006, 6:10 pm   #20
DoctorWho
Rest in Peace

I use a very old modulator, built way back in the late 1980's and based on David Loosers excellent design. It's been going strong ever since and gives superb results. It has an extremely powerful output and can be received quite a distance away. he only downside is that it causes localised interference on UHF - but I can live with that. It is Channel 1 only.

My standards converter is a hand-made unit constructed for me by David Boynes (thanks again David), it's a superb unit and is in use every day. It is housed in a metal case and gives very good 405 pictures.

405 is on in our house daily.

Peter.
Closed Thread