UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Websites

Notices

Websites Found an interesting website? Post the details here and share it with the rest of us. Please stick to websites that are in some way related to our hobby/interest.

Closed Thread

Old 27th Jan 2011, 2:08 pm   #1
geofy
Retired Dormant Member

Post Light bulbs

If you need to stock up on test lamp limiter bulbs these might be useful. Four different sizes and types.

http://www.coopersofstortford.co.uk/...lbs-prodc975i/
Old 27th Jan 2011, 5:21 pm   #2
Aub
Nonode

Default Re: Light bulbs

Intersting,

I was in a well known DIY store, about 3 months ago, and they had signs up saying they were not allowed to sell traditional pearl light bulbs any more. Clear ones were ok.

maybe if you order them on-line its ok ?

Cheers

Aub
Old 27th Jan 2011, 5:44 pm   #3
yesnaby
Octode

Hello,

I think it is only illegal at the moment to manufacture or import certain incandescent light bulbs. It is still OK to sell them, the big stores do not do so as they cannot be bothered to source them and/or are part of the conspiracy ....

Michael
Old 27th Jan 2011, 7:17 pm   #4
ALANS ANITAS
Rest in Peace

Hi

As well as filament lamps, 40 watt circular flourescents seem to be in short supply. I purchased one from CPC about a year ago, but they are no longer listed. The local B&Q still has complete units, but no replacement tubes, The last one I had was branded "Sylvania".

Regards

ALAN
Old 27th Jan 2011, 9:04 pm   #5
dennishoy
Retired Dormant Member

Just another ploy to make you change the complete fitting when the bulb blows, perhaps? Private enterprise at it's very best!
Old 28th Jan 2011, 12:21 am   #6
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

On the other hand-when I took the circular plastic cover off my outside light and found an obscure circular flouresecent, it was very simple, easy and cheaper to employ a low energy bulb in it's stead. Dave W
Old 28th Jan 2011, 12:35 am   #7
Tim
Dekatron

Quote:
As well as filament lamps, 40 watt circular flourescents seem to be in short supply. I purchased one from CPC about a year ago, but they are no longer listed
Does that mean I won't be able to get a replacement for my bench magnifier?
Old 28th Jan 2011, 1:29 am   #8
BGmidsUK
Retired Dormant Member

If it's a fluorescent one it'll be a 22W I'd think - I haven't seen any bigger ones.

As for bulbs, hopefully the halogen replacements will continue to be available.

Brian
Old 28th Jan 2011, 12:31 pm   #9
geofy
Retired Dormant Member

I thought halogen was a banned ozone depleting gas, my local town still has an independent electrical retailer, don't know how he survives, but can usually get replacement parts, no doubt filament bulbs as well, but I have a cupboardfull of bulbs.
Old 28th Jan 2011, 1:18 pm   #10
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by geofy View Post
I thought halogen was a banned ozone depleting gas....
Halogens are a group of chemical elements, only 2 of which are gaseous at room temperature. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halogen They may well be toxic but they are not significant ozone depleters

I think you may be confusing them with some organic halogen compounds such as trichloro-ethane and many refrigerants (CFC, HCFC) which were banned under the Montreal Protocols due to ozone depletion.

Halogen bulbs will be available for while yet but the ones in ordinary lightbulb shape may well be phased out after 5 years or so.
Old 28th Jan 2011, 1:33 pm   #11
pmmunro
Octode

The halogens are a "family" of elements in Group VII of the Periodic Table. They are Fluorine, Chlorine, Bromine, Iodine and Astatine.

Bromine and Iodine are used in small quantities, singly or as mixtures in halogen lamps, which allows the filament to be run at higher temperatures than is possible in vacuum or inert gas 'filled' lamps. Bromine is a viscous liquid at room temperature and iodine is in the form of black crystals.

The higher temperature of the filament emits more light than in a GLS lamp and raises the luminous efficacy from around 12 lumens per watt (GLS) to approximately 18 lumens per watt. The actual efficacy depends on the rating and design of the lamp. Higher power lamps tend to be more efficient.

The quartz is used for the envelope, (the bulb), as it has a lower melting point than the soda glass used in GLS lamps.

PMM.
Old 28th Jan 2011, 2:22 pm   #12
geofy
Retired Dormant Member

I was thinking of the banned halogen used in fire extinguishers, the only type I have ever seen effectively put out a liquid fire. I am learning more about light bulbs, the only gas I knew about was the Argon in filament bulbs, and Sodium street lights. But we better get back OT about the buying of bulbs for lamp limiters which in the main are the filament type simply because it acts as a convenient series resistor.
Old 28th Jan 2011, 4:57 pm   #13
kalee20
Dekatron

Quote:
I was thinking of the banned halogen used in fire extinguishers
I think that's Halon, a trade name (probably Du Pont) for a halogenated hydrocarbon.

Thinking about things, a tungsten-halogen lamp might be even better as a lamp limiter, as with the greater temperature change from cold to hot (the hot being much hotter than a conventional lamp), the resistance change will be greater.

So a piece of equipment with no faults will stand a really good chance of working properly with the lamp in circuit, because the added resistance will be less. But if it's faulty, you'll still have the limiting action.

Nearly as good as a PTC thermistor, or a Polyswitch - plus it lights up!
Old 28th Jan 2011, 5:03 pm   #14
AlanBeckett
Rest in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmmunro View Post

The quartz is used for the envelope, (the bulb), as it has a lower melting point than the soda glass used in GLS lamps.

PMM.
I think that's backwards.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halogen_lamp
Alan
Old 28th Jan 2011, 5:11 pm   #15

Halogen lamps don't like being under or over run, not that it would matter for a lamp limiter.

Old 28th Jan 2011, 6:56 pm   #16
geofy
Retired Dormant Member

Post Re: Light bulbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalee20 View Post
Quote:
I was thinking of the banned halogen used in fire extinguishers
I think that's Halon, a trade name (probably Du Pont) for a halogenated hydrocarbon.

!
Thanks kalee20, Halon the only one I have seen that put out a large liquid fire that others didn't touch.

The only halogen bulbs I have come across are for car headlights, are they available in bayonet fittings for an ordinary lamp fitting.
Old 28th Jan 2011, 7:05 pm   #17
XTC
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
The only halogen bulbs I have come across are for car headlights, are they available in bayonet fittings for an ordinary lamp fitting.

Really? There are halogen bulbs in rechargeable lanterns you find in the hardware stores, in desk lamps and ceiling spotlights. There are halogen strip bulbs used in security lights and work lights.

There are certainly ones with bayonet fittings the same as ordinary light bulbs.

http://www.lightbulbs-direct.com/category/207/halogena/

Pete.
Old 28th Jan 2011, 7:07 pm   #18
pmmunro
Octode

Sorry Alan, you're quite right. I hope it was because I was distracted and rewrote the sentence mentally.

Watch you don't slip on the marbles lying around!

PMM.
Old 28th Jan 2011, 8:21 pm   #19
Panrock
Nonode

I have been unable to get replacement circular fluorescents anywhere for my 7-inch illuminated bench magnifier (tips welcome), so I have kept it going with a ring of 40 6.5v 300mA MES tubular lamps (RS) in series. Works fine!
Old 28th Jan 2011, 10:56 pm   #20
geofy
Retired Dormant Member

Post Re: Light bulbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panrock View Post
I have been unable to get replacement circular fluorescents anywhere !
If you PM with full details of the lamp I can ask in my local electrical shop.
Closed Thread